AFRICA/NIGERIA - New violence in northern and central Nigeria
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - New violence, although with different motivation, occurred in two distinct areas of Nigeria. Three alleged members of the Boko Haram sect were killed by the Joint Task Force (JTF, joint group specialized in the fight against terrorism) on March 5 in Maiduguri, capital of Borno State in northeastern Nigeria, as they were preparing to set fire to a school .
According to the newspaper This Day, at least 10 schools have been razed by the sect. Boko Haram (which can be translated as "Western education is sin") from the outset opposed to Western education system, considering only admissible one imparted by the Koranic schools.
Boko Haram for at least two years has created a strong climate of insecurity in some areas of northern Nigeria.
On Sunday, March 4, at least 16 people died in the State of Benue (in central Nigeria) when a group of nomadic Fulani herdsmen attacked a village of Tiv farmers. The Fulani (or Peuls), from the north move with their herds to the central states of Nigeria in search of better pastures, in many cases they end up clashing with the local sedentary communities. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2012)
- 2014-10-02 - The Bishops' message to the Muslim community: "May the example of Abraham bear fruits of mutual respect"
- 2014-07-18 - New French military mission for the Sahel, but not everyone agrees
- 2014-04-30 - Bishops alarm: "The political situation is serious; the democratic climate is deteriorating day by day"
- 2014-04-25 - Malaria: Each year more than a million people die, mostly in Africa
- 2013-10-09 - 79,087 cases and 362 children under 5 years of age have died from severe acute malnutrition
- 2013-09-05 - Prevention against malaria for more than 180,000 children
- 2013-08-08 - AFRICA/NIGER – To safeguard Creation at the center of the Bishops’ message for the end of Ramadan
- 2013-06-20 - "Refugees are the invisible of our time", says a missionary
- 2013-06-13 - Gunfight in Niamey, maybe it was a false alarm
- 2013-06-10 - The first Bishop from Niger in Niamey