AFRICA/NIGERIA - New violence in northern and central Nigeria
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - New violence, although with different motivation, occurred in two distinct areas of Nigeria. Three alleged members of the Boko Haram sect were killed by the Joint Task Force (JTF, joint group specialized in the fight against terrorism) on March 5 in Maiduguri, capital of Borno State in northeastern Nigeria, as they were preparing to set fire to a school .
According to the newspaper This Day, at least 10 schools have been razed by the sect. Boko Haram (which can be translated as "Western education is sin") from the outset opposed to Western education system, considering only admissible one imparted by the Koranic schools.
Boko Haram for at least two years has created a strong climate of insecurity in some areas of northern Nigeria.
On Sunday, March 4, at least 16 people died in the State of Benue (in central Nigeria) when a group of nomadic Fulani herdsmen attacked a village of Tiv farmers. The Fulani (or Peuls), from the north move with their herds to the central states of Nigeria in search of better pastures, in many cases they end up clashing with the local sedentary communities. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2012)
- 2015-07-06 - Noma severely affects the poorest and malnourished children
- 2015-05-21 - Civil society denounces: serious human rights violations in the east of the Country
- 2015-05-15 - Meningitis in Niger: 100 people hospitalized every day in Niamey
- 2015-04-09 - Bishops' message: "Easter, the feast of all the believers who work for peace"
- 2015-04-01 - "The churches burned in January will be protected at Easter, but then discrimination will continue as before", says a missionary
- 2015-02-19 - The day for demonstrations against Boko Haram a village is bombed by mistake on the border with Nigeria; 37 dead
- 2015-02-16 - March against Boko Haram; Christians call nation to unite
- 2015-02-14 - Testimony from Niamey: A source of inspiration for peaceful co-existence!
- 2015-02-10 - A missionary: "There is a growing feeling of anti-Christianity in Niger
- 2015-01-27 - Anti-Christian violence: the Bishops reaffirm their friendship with the Muslim community