AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Solidarity of the Church of South Africa to Cardinal Monsengwo for the death of his nephew, murdered in Johannesburg
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides)-“As President of the Southern African Catholic Bishops’ Conference and Archbishop of Johannesburg, I wish to convey my deepest sympathy to the Monsengwo family” said a statement sent to Fides by Archbishop Buti Joseph Tlhagale, Archbishop of Johannesburg, in reference to the killing on Feb. 22 in the South African city of a nephew of Cardinal Laurent Monsengwo Pasinya (see Fides 02/29/2012) .
“The loss of any life by violence is not according to the will of God. The fact that another life is lost in Johannesburg – whoever it is – is very sad”.
“I assure the Congolese community in Johannesburg, in South Africa and our Brother, Laurent Cardinal Monsengwo, Archbishop of Kinshasa, of my prayers and full co-operation to bring the perpetrators of this violence to law”. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 1/3/2012)
- 2014-08-21 - "In Gaza, in Iraq and in Syria, we are faced with stark and horrifying evidence of the moral bankruptcy of modern warfare", say the Bishops
- 2014-07-01 - Bishop of Rustenburg says thanks for the help given to the miners who have concluded the strike
- 2014-06-23 - An American missionary who dedicated her life to orphans in South Africa has been killed
- 2014-05-07 - " Be careful not to go back to new forms of racial discrimination" says Cardinal Napier to voters
- 2014-05-02 - "Enormous progress on integration, but we need to fight corruption", says Cardinal Napier
- 2014-04-04 - The Bishops: "President, give an explanation of the excessive expenditure on the renovation of your house with public money"
- 2014-03-10 - The role of the General Secretaries of the Bishops' Conferences on the subject of reconciliation, good governance, the common good and democratic transition
- 2014-02-19 - South African Bishops: "Go and vote, because this right has been won with blood"
- 2014-02-10 - Bishops’ message in view of the elections on May 7: "Let us carefully choose who to vote for"
- 2014-01-29 - "No to laws that discriminate homosexuals": editorial of the Catholic Southern Cross