AFRICA-In Africa 23 million people are at risk of hunger
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides) - Alarm of the International Federation of the Red Cross (IFRC) with regards to the food crisis that could hit 23 million people in arid areas of West Africa if not treated immediately. The IFRC, national coordination group for the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies around the world, estimates that currently 10 to 14 million people in the Sahel region do not have enough food due to poor rainfall, pest attacks and local floods. In a recent meeting at the United Nations, the regional representative of the IFRC for Sahel said that the crops in Chad and Mauritania correspond only to half of the population’s necessities. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 15/2/2012)
- 2015-10-12 - Ugandan Bishops: "Pope Francis comes here as a bridge builder"
- 2015-09-30 - Bishops on the challenges regarding the family in Africa: poverty, war, ecological crisis, contrary ideologies
- 2015-09-22 - Africa prepares to welcome Pope Francis
- 2015-06-10 - "The main problem in Africa is the crisis of values", says a UN African Special Representative
- 2015-04-20 - Senegalese NGO: "An international coalition to combat human trafficking"
- 2015-03-26 - Rome -Caritas meeting: A million displaced persons and refugees fleeing Boko Haram
- 2015-03-18 - AFRICA – One out of 5 people with Ebola is a child
- 2015-03-14 - "Africa, a continent on the move", Africa is always more part of the global village
- 2015-03-02 - "Do not lose hope aroused by the Arab Spring", say the Bishops of North Africa
- 2015-01-08 - The Holy See expresses gratitude to local Churches in Africa fighting Ebola