AFRICA/BENIN - "The Post-Synodal Exhortation urges us to a greater commitment to evangelization in Africa", says Cardinal Pengo
Cotonou (Agenzia Fides) - The President of the Symposium of Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM), Cardinal Polycarp Pengo, Archbishop of Dar Es Salaam (Tanzania), has described the Apostolic Exhortation of Pope Benedict XVI "Africae munus " as an impetus to stimulate the Church in the continent to be more pro-active in its evangelization mission with regard to ensuring reconciliation, justice and peace in the continent.
Cardinal Pengo made this remark in his keynote address at the opening ceremony of the Consultation on the Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation, held in Cotonou (Benin) on November 21 to 23. Cardinal Pengo said that the fact that this meeting, held immediately after the launching of the Exhortation by Pope Benedict XVI on November 19, 2011, in Ouidah (Benin), was a manifestation of the importance that the Church in Africa attaches it. The President of SECAM added that the "Exhortation should give the Church in Africa a new impetus to build a more reconciled Africa by pursuing the paths of truth, justice, love and peace."
Cardinal Pengo commended Church institutions and the Development Partners of SECAM, such as MISEREOR, MISSIO, ICMC (International Catholic Migration Commission), Aid to the Church in Need, Catholic Relief Services (CRS) and a number of Episcopal Conferences outside Africa for their valuable financial support and collaboration with SECAM for the implementation of the Post-Synodal planning and activities in the promotion of justice, peace and reconciliation on the African continent. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/12/2011)
- 2013-07-12 - "The Virgin Mary is the sign of Catholicism in Benin"
- 2012-08-29 - Inauguaration of the first "mini-village of the Child", dedicated to St. Massimiliano M. Kolbe
- 2012-02-17 - Moto-taxis for needy families: ensuring the development and creation of jobs
- 2011-12-02 - "The Post-Synodal Exhortation urges us to a greater commitment to evangelization in Africa", says Cardinal Pengo
- 2011-11-18 - 800 000 street children escaped from their families, abandoned because of poverty, victims of conflict and abuse
- 2011-11-17 - "On arriving in Benin, the Holy Father pays tribute also to the work of missionaries and the local hierarchy": the testimony of a missionary of the SAM
- 2011-11-16 - History, Economy and the presence of the Church
- 2011-11-10 - Six thousand malnourished children admitted to hospital in Tanguiéta: Emergency in the country
- 2011-08-19 - The letters of the first missionaries (SAM) who arrived in Dahomey in 1861
- 2011-06-14 - Appointment of the Archbishop of Parakou