AFRICA/ZAMBIA - City of Hope, a school for young people of Makeni
Lusaka (Agenzia Fides) - Makeni is one of the suburbs in the south of Lusaka, the capital of Zambia. Here, in 1995, the Salesian Sisters of Don Bosco built a temporary Open Community School for girls, with the hope that this could join in time public schools already present in the capital of the country. Unfortunately it did not happen and the huts which currently welcome about 800 orphans are still there. As a replacement for this building, already out of date, the sisters have begun work on a new school, the City of Hope, which will replace the classes/huts of the children by giving 1250 young people (400 more than the present) the opportunity to receive good primary and secondary quality education. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 02/12/2011)
- 2014-11-21 - "In 50 years, Zambia has made remarkable progress", says President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2014-10-30 - Churches’ appeal after the death of the President: "Let us join together in prayer during this time of mourning"
- 2014-10-29 - President Sata has died after a long illness
- 2014-10-23 - The Church's contribution to the growth of the nation after 50 years of independence
- 2014-10-13 - "We are greatly concerned about the well-being of the President" say civil society
- 2014-04-08 - Almost 40% of infant mortality rate is due to malaria
- 2014-03-10 - Support to give strength to the women of Chisitu
- 2014-02-21 - AFRICA/ZAMBIA – Let's fulfill the aspirations of those who fought for the independence of building a more just Country
- 2014-01-25 - Bishops: "Respect democracy"
- 2014-01-09 - After 50 years of independence a proper Constitution focused on popular sovereignty is needed