AFRICA/ZAMBIA - City of Hope, a school for young people of Makeni
Lusaka (Agenzia Fides) - Makeni is one of the suburbs in the south of Lusaka, the capital of Zambia. Here, in 1995, the Salesian Sisters of Don Bosco built a temporary Open Community School for girls, with the hope that this could join in time public schools already present in the capital of the country. Unfortunately it did not happen and the huts which currently welcome about 800 orphans are still there. As a replacement for this building, already out of date, the sisters have begun work on a new school, the City of Hope, which will replace the classes/huts of the children by giving 1250 young people (400 more than the present) the opportunity to receive good primary and secondary quality education. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 02/12/2011)
- 2015-11-25 - New techniques to encourage fishermen and reduce poverty
- 2015-10-30 - "Prayer alone is not enough to solve the economic crisis, one must also work hard", says the Bishop of Monze
- 2015-02-04 - The Bishops send their best wishes to the newly-elected President: "Work to strengthen national unity"
- 2014-12-16 - "Corruption and intra-party conflicts threaten democracy" say the Christian confessions
- 2014-12-03 - Churches to monitor presidential elections in January
- 2014-11-21 - "In 50 years, Zambia has made remarkable progress", says President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2014-10-30 - Churches’ appeal after the death of the President: "Let us join together in prayer during this time of mourning"
- 2014-10-29 - President Sata has died after a long illness
- 2014-10-23 - The Church's contribution to the growth of the nation after 50 years of independence
- 2014-10-13 - "We are greatly concerned about the well-being of the President" say civil society