EUROPE/SLOVAKIA - TRNAVA UNIVERSITY AWARDS HONORARY DOCTORATE IN THEOLOGY TO CHIARA LUBICH, FOR HER CONTRIBUTION TOWARDS THEOLOGY OF UNITY AND COMMITMENT TO PROMOTE DIALOGUE AT EVERY LEVEL
Trnava (Fides Service) – On Monday June 23 at 11 am, at Castel Gandolfo (just outside Rome) Chiara Lubich, founder of the Focolare Movement will be awarded an honorary doctorate in theology. By conferring this title on one of the most outstanding Christian women of our time, Trnava University in Slovakia wishes to highlight to Christian orientation by which she is inspired and to promote in Slovakian society openness to dialogue between faith and science, culture and politics, so that conflict provoked by cultural and political diversities may be healed to become enrichment and social progress.
This award to Chiara Lubich, accepted unanimously by the academic senate, was proposed by the faculty of theology for the profound consonance between the values she incarnates and the tradition of Trnava University, founded in 1635, based on spiritual values and freedom of thought, drawn from the historic roots of the Slovak people, namely, the values of Christianity, European culture and democracy. In recent decades since Trnava University resumed its activities, it has highlighted personalities who have contributed in an excellent manner to the development and affirmation of these values in society.
The Focolare Movement, started on 7 December 1943 by Chiara Lubich, is a Movement of spiritual and social renewal which embraces people of all ages, races, categories, curlers, callings and faiths, engaged in the one same project to help to heal divisions, traumas, and conflicts at various levels in society in rode tore build the brotherhood of the human family. It is presently diffused in 182 countries, on all five continents and had millions of members and friends. SL (Fides Service 18/6/2003 EM lines 19 Words: 258)
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished