AFRICA/GUINEA - Clashes in Conakry: one dead and several injured
Conakry (Agenzia Fides) –One dead and several wounded is the provisional estimates of the clashes taking place in Conakry, the capital of the Republic of Guinea, between police and opposition demonstrators. The latter have violated the prohibition of President Alpha Condé, who had banned the demonstration that should have been held close to the Stadium on "September 28".
"On the eve of the anniversary of the massacre which took place in the stadium of Conakry two years ago (28 September 2009, see Fides 29/09/2009), the riots were the last thing the country needed, because tomorrow is a day for national reconciliation with a ceremony co-presided by the Archbishop of Conarky and the Imam of the Feisal Mosque" says a qualified source of the Church to Fides, that for security reasons does not want to be mentioned. "The event, strongly wanted by President Conde, should be the first act of a political path that sets the criteria of national reconciliation", added the source of Fides.
Guinea, after the military government had seized power in the aftermath of President Lansana Conte in December 2008 and after the 2010 presidential elections, won by Alpha Conde, is conducting a democratic path. "President Condé made some internal mistakes, but he certainly has a great international visibility. In my opinion, the opposition, which is not very strong, took the opportunity to make its presence felt", says the source of Fides. The opposition criticizes in particular the choice of a South African society to compile voters lists for legislative elections on December 29. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/09/2011)
- 2012-12-19 AFRICA/GUINEA - A new strain of cholera continues to increase infection
- 2012-12-10 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - "Mary, help us grow in faith": thousands of faithful to the Marian pilgrimage in Cacheu
- 2012-04-13 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - Uncertain situation in Bissau after a coup attempt
- 2011-12-13 AFRICA/GUINEA - Cholera cases are reduced thanks to enhanced prevention
- 2011-10-03 AFRICA/GUINEA - President Condé urges the opposition to dialogue after the serious incidents of September 27
- 2011-09-27 AFRICA/GUINEA - Clashes in Conakry: one dead and several injured
- 2011-07-28 AFRICA/GUINEA - The operators of the media involved in a program to combat the illicit proliferation of small arms
- 2011-07-23 AFRICA/GUINEA - The shadow of the failed coup looms up behind the assault on the presidential palace
- 2011-07-20 AFRICA/GUINEA - The questions about the failed attack against the President
- 2010-12-03 AFRICA/GUINEA - Supreme Court confirms the election of Alpha Condé as Head of State