AFRICA/GUINEA - Clashes in Conakry: one dead and several injured
Conakry (Agenzia Fides) –One dead and several wounded is the provisional estimates of the clashes taking place in Conakry, the capital of the Republic of Guinea, between police and opposition demonstrators. The latter have violated the prohibition of President Alpha Condé, who had banned the demonstration that should have been held close to the Stadium on "September 28".
"On the eve of the anniversary of the massacre which took place in the stadium of Conakry two years ago (28 September 2009, see Fides 29/09/2009), the riots were the last thing the country needed, because tomorrow is a day for national reconciliation with a ceremony co-presided by the Archbishop of Conarky and the Imam of the Feisal Mosque" says a qualified source of the Church to Fides, that for security reasons does not want to be mentioned. "The event, strongly wanted by President Conde, should be the first act of a political path that sets the criteria of national reconciliation", added the source of Fides.
Guinea, after the military government had seized power in the aftermath of President Lansana Conte in December 2008 and after the 2010 presidential elections, won by Alpha Conde, is conducting a democratic path. "President Condé made some internal mistakes, but he certainly has a great international visibility. In my opinion, the opposition, which is not very strong, took the opportunity to make its presence felt", says the source of Fides. The opposition criticizes in particular the choice of a South African society to compile voters lists for legislative elections on December 29. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/09/2011)
- 2015-11-09 - A weak monitoring system favors the spread of Ebola
- 2015-10-20 - Outgoing President in the lead in the provisional results of the presidential elections
- 2015-10-10 - Presidential elections create tension
- 2015-10-09 - Archbishop of Conakry: "Sunday's elections: a test of democracy and political maturity"
- 2015-07-23 - Some 16 months since the epidemic outbreak, Ebola still not under control
- 2014-06-24 - Control and prevent outbreaks of cholera with a highly effective oral vaccine
- 2014-06-05 - Ebola outbreak in West Africa
- 2014-03-29 - Outbreak of Ebola: "There is no treatment or vaccine, the priority is to isolate suspected cases"
- 2014-03-06 - AFRICA/GUINEA – A campaign to vaccinate 400,000 children against measles
- 2014-02-04 - AFRICA/GUINEA – Guinea: a new African hub for cocaine destined to Europe?