ASIA/PAKISTAN - Paul Bhatti appointed “Special Advisor” for Religious Minorities
Islamabad (Agenzi Fides) – Paul Bhatti, brother of murdered Minister Shahbaz Bhatti, was today appointed “Special Advisor” for Religious Minorities by the Prime Minister of Pakistan, to manage the affairs of religious minorities at a federal level. The Special Advisor will have the same executive powers as a Minister, and in the coming days he will make his official oath for the new position. Government sources in Pakistan revealed this to Fides. The news, which is still awaiting official confirmation, is already circulating in the Christian community and in civil society, which warmly welcomed the choice of the Pakistani government, anticipated in the days leading up to it as an “advanced proposal by the executive”. Bhatti has withdrawn his last reserves, after the Government confirmed full powers to continue his brother's mission, for the defence of minority rights. Paul Bhatti is a doctor and has lived in Italy for several years. Recently having returned to Pakistan, he was elected the new Director of the All Pakistan Minorities Alliance (APMA), the network founded by Shahbaz Bhatti in 2002 for the defence of religious minorities. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 24/3/2011)
- 2013-11-29 ASIA/PAKISTAN – The Christian Younis Masih, sentenced to death for blasphemy, has been released
- 2013-11-28 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Alarm among Christians: the scourge of blasphemy gets worse, four cases in a month
- 2013-11-18 ASIA/PAKISTAN – Conclusion of the Year of Faith: the challenges of priesthood in the modern world
- 2013-10-30 ASIA/PAKISTAN - A new Bishop in Faisalabad: 10 thousand at the Mass with Cardinal Filoni
- 2013-10-21 ASIA/PAKISTAN - After Malala, may the world help the Christian Kashmala, disabled after the massacre in Peshawar
- 2013-10-19 ASIA/PAKISTAN – Conclusion of the Year of Faith: a new impetus for mission and unity
- 2013-10-17 ASIA/PAKISTAN - A Protestant Pastor and two laymen accused of blasphemy, other leaders threatened
- 2013-10-10 ASIA/PAKISTAN - The Church : "The massacre of Peshawar is strengthening our faith. Yes to dialogue with the Taliban"
- 2013-10-08 ASIA/PAKISTAN - A sanctuary for the Christian victims of Peshawar, still without compensation on behalf of the government
- 2013-10-04 ASIA/PAKISTAN - The World Council of Churches to the Premier: "We urgently need to protect religious minorities"