ASIA/MONGOLIA - For the first time Ulan Baatar is a “City for Life”, against the death penalty
Ulan Bator (Agenzia Fides) - Ulan Bator, capital of Mongolia, will take part in “Cities for Life” for the first time, the great event organized by the Sant'Egidio Community, against the death penalty, which is celebrated tomorrow, 30 November, in over 1,300 cities around the world. Among the new members that have registered are Ulan Bator and Bishkek (Kyrgyzstan) which returns after three years of being banned by the Government.
Mongolia is also among the 107 countries that voted in favour of a universal moratorium on capital punishment during the 65th UN General Assembly on 11 November. In January 2010, Mongolia issued a unilateral moratorium on convictions and executions. Now a bill is before Parliament that will abolish the death penalty from the Penal Code.
Among Asian cities mobilized for the project “Cities for Life” are also Lahore (Pakistan), Jakarta (Indonesia) and Dushanbe (Tajikistan).
The initiative requires each city that intends to participate, actively makes a visible gesture to its citizens and to the world as a solid commitment to raising the awareness of civil society. Many capitals of the world hold demonstrations, marches, sit-ins, shows, and public meetings, in schools and universities. Many cities illuminate the main monument, which as a “living logo”, becomes the object of projections that highlight the efforts and dialogue with citizens for a world without the death penalty.
The first instance of the World Day of the “Cities for Life - Cities Against the Death Penalty” was launched by the Community of Sant'Egidio on 30 November 2002, and about 80 cities participated. Today over 1,300 cities in 85 countries worldwide, including 64 capitals on five continents are involved. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 29/11/2010)
- 2013-09-10 ASIA/MONGOLIA - The youngest Church in the world towards World Mission Day 2013
- 2012-07-07 ASIA/MONGOLIA - From zero to 800 faithful: a booming community, working for the good of society
- 2012-07-07 ASIA/MONGOLIA - 20 years since its birth, the Church focuses on youth and family, to be "light and Good News"
- 2012-03-16 ASIA/MONGOLIA - One of the poorest countries with the greatest mineral wealth in the world
- 2012-02-15 ASIA/MONGOLIA-Assistance, education and participation: the path of the missionary Church in Mongolia
- 2010-11-29 ASIA/MONGOLIA - For the first time Ulan Baatar is a “City for Life”, against the death penalty
- 2010-07-22 ASIA/MONGOLIA - Catholic community grows in hope