AFRICA/GHANA - SECAM/SCEAM Permanent Committee Meeting
Accra (Agenzia Fides) – A meeting of the thirteen-member Standing Committee of the Symposium of Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM) will take place in Accra, Ghana from October 24- 27, 2010.
According to a statement sent to Fides, apart from looking at policy decisions, the meeting will evaluate the 15th Plenary Assembly of SECAM that took place in Accra, Ghana from July 26 to August 2, 2010. The Standing Committee will also deliberate on the agenda of a seminar jointly organised by SECAM and the Conference of Council of European Bishops' Conferences (CCEE) on the theme: “News Strategies of the Ad Gente Mission: Exchange of Personnel and Formation. Vocations.”
The Committee will also look at issues that will be discussed between SECAM and the Bishops’ Conference of Germany at a meeting that is to take place in Germany in March 2011. Reports from the various offices of SECAM and Caritas Africa among others will be presented at this meeting.
The Assembly will be chaired by His Eminence, Polycarp Cardinal Pengo, President of SECAM and Archbishop of Dar- Es- Salaam, Tanzania. He will be assisted by his two Vice-Presidents, Cardinal Theodore Adrien Sarr of Senegal (First Vice President) and Archbishop Gabriel Mbilingi of Angola (Second Vice-President). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/10/2010)
- 2015-11-23 - The African Bishops: "No to terrorism and wars that have bloodied the world and Africa in particular"
- 2015-11-17 - Bishops concerned about the consequences of urbanization and unemployment
- 2015-10-14 - The Bishops invite "All work together with the Electoral Commission to have lists of credible voters"
- 2015-10-08 - Inquiry on corrupt judges: for the Bishops it is "a scandal that undermines the principle of legality"
- 2015-08-04 - AFRICA/GHANA – Bishops launch the African Year of Reconciliation
- 2015-06-12 - The Bishops: "let us avoid repeating the language of those who want to destroy the family"
- 2015-05-12 - Appeal from Christian leaders: "Young people, stay in Africa, Europe does not guarantee comforts and pleasures"
- 2015-01-02 - "Corruption and widespread immorality threaten the nation", say the Bishops
- 2014-11-04 - The Bishops: "postpone the African Cup of Nations due to the Ebola situation"
- 2014-09-25 - "A fast-growing Country, where one feels the effects of secularization", says the President of the Episcopal Conference