EUROPE/PORTUGAL - 11th Missionary Volunteer Day: fighting poverty to promote integral human development
Leiria (Agenzia Fides) - 11th Missionary Volunteer Day to be held October 23 at Teatro Miguel Franco and Santana Mercado in Leiria, will reflect on the fight against poverty and social exclusion. "Against Poverty, You Can Make a Difference" is the slogan for the initiative promoted by the Foundation Evangelization and Culture (FEC), with the support of the Missionary Group Ondjoyetu and the City of Leiria.
According to information sent from the FEC to Fides, the opening conference will be on the theme: “Promoting human development: from local to global,” by Alfredo Bruto da Costa, president of the Portuguese National Commission for Justice and Peace. "In order to motivate participants to take action against poverty, there will be a presentation of some projects initiated by Amnesty International, CAIS, Jesuit Refugee Service, and Caritas Leiria.
In this year 2010, we celebrate the European Year against poverty and social exclusion, and celebrate 10 years of the United Nations Millennium Declaration on the fight against extreme poverty. "These are two examples of initiatives that call for joint action in communion, for the same goal, i.e. integral human development,” says the FEC. “In an increasingly more interdependent world, the great challenge of globalization is to transform this interdependence into interaction. To ensure that this change occurs at the global level, the transformation must take place first at a local and personal level."
John Paul II said that "we are all really responsible for everyone." This is a goal that should be permanent: that each person works so that humanity can live in a permanent supportive relationship, where everybody is responsible for everybody else. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/10/2010)
- 2015-10-16 - 115 institutions ready to accept refugees
- 2014-06-16 - Cardinal Filoni concludes the jubilee celebrations for the 500th anniversary of the Diocese of Funchal
- 2014-06-11 - After 500 years, the Diocese of Funchal relaunches the commitment to be "Church in Mission"
- 2014-01-21 - The whole Church is involved in the problem of migration
- 2013-08-10 - National Migration Week, an opportunity to express faith and charity
- 2012-12-12 - Recognition of Parliament to Caritas, for the protection of social rights and the fight against poverty
- 2012-10-30 - Catholic organizations denounce the social regression and the increase of poverty
- 2011-10-05 - Volunteer Missionary: more than 1,130 youth and adults involved this year in carrying out projects in 4 continents
- 2011-09-29 - Solidarity, forgiveness, sharing: fourth national meeting of young people sponsored by the SVD
- 2011-08-18 - In the Year of Voluntary, the National Missionary Days on "Voluntary work and Mission"