AFRICA/RWANDA - Kagame re-elected with 93% of the vote; attack in Kigali leaves 7 wounded
Kigali (Agenzia Fides) – The President of Rwanda, Paul Kagame, was re-elected with 93% of the vote on August 9, the National Electoral Commission announced yesterday. The presidential term lasts seven years.
In the 2003 elections, Kagame won with 95% of the votes.
Immediately following the announcement of Kagame's victory, unidentified persons carried out an attack in the capital, Kigali. Around 7 pm, a hand grenade was rolled against the crowd waiting at the bus station in the city's downtown area. Seven people, including two children, were injured. The police said they arrested at least three people in connection with the attack.
In the months preceding the elections, several similar attacks had taken place in Kigali and other areas of the country. The authorities have charged several senior army officers, who have fled abroad, with being the perpetrators of these acts of violence. The interplay of differences within the military leadership of the country is still playing a role in the matter (see Fides 07/02/2010). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 08/12/2010)
- 2015-06-23 - Rwandan intelligence chief arrested in London
- 2014-12-22 - A fish farm to support the orphanage in Muhura
- 2014-02-03 - An initiative to spread the Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church
- 2013-04-09 - Refugee camps are collapsing due to another stream of Congolese
- 2012-03-26 - Lack of water: every 17 seconds a child dies, more than 40% of the population in sub-Saharan Africa is severly affected.
- 2012-03-15 - Mgr. Misago has died, Bishop of Gikongoro, accused and acquitted for the genocide in 1994
- 2012-03-08 - The Catholic Church signed an agreement with the police to combat violence against women
- 2012-02-13 - biogas system for cooking in the orphanage of Muhura
- 2011-04-15 - In the rural area of Muhura 40,000 people can now take advantage of the electricity power
- 2011-03-03 - Aqueduct in operation for the 28,000 inhabitants in the district of Gicumbi