Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) – The following figures compiled by Fides, through local Church sources in Iraq, provide a comprehensive picture of the suffering of Iraqi Christians.
- Since 2003: about 2,000 Iraqi Christians have been killed in several waves of violence
- Between February 27 and March 1, 2010: 870 families, a total of over 4,400 faithful, leave Mosul due to anti-Christian violence
- October 2008: more than 12,000 Christians flee Mosul for a wave of violence
- 40% of Iraqi refugees abroad (a total of about 1.6 million) are Christians (source: UNHCR)
- 44% of Iraqis who have applied for asylum in Syria are Christians. Asylum applications are growing in Jordan, Turkey and in Western countries (especially Sweden and Australia).
- The total number of Christians in Iraq: in 1987 = 1.4 million; in 2003 = 1,2 million; in 2009 = 600,000, many of whom are IDPs.
- Iraq's total population: 27.5 million - 97% Muslim (65% Shiite, 35% Sunni), 3% Christian and other religious minorities. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 4/3/2010)