AFRICA/CAMEROON - GERMAN CLARETIAN MISSIONARY FOUND MURDERED ON CHRISTMAS EVE
Yaounde (Fides Service) – On Christmas Eve German Claretian missionary, Father Anton Probst, was found dead at the Claretian Novitiate at Akono about 60 kilometres south of the capital Yaounde. The body of the priest, a member of the Missionary Sons of the Immaculate Heart of Mary who had taken part in the community’s midnight Mass, was found near his room gagged with hands and feet tied. It is thought that on the way to his room he encountered robbers escaping with a few items of little value. For the moment the Claretian General House which reported the news has no further details on the tragic episode. Father Probst was born on 20 March 1935 at Messhofen, Germany. He was ordained a priest on 23 October 1967. He came to Akono 11 years ago, after 24 years of mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The funeral will be held in Akono on 7 January. (S.L.) (Fides Service 29/12/2003 – lines 10; words 154
- 2015-07-09 - Violence prevents aid workers to provide safe medical care
- 2015-02-23 - Release of Indian Jesuit held hostage for eight months
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"