Acta of the Holy See
ASIA/BANGLADESH – MYMENSINGH DIOCESE, REV. PAUL PONEN KUBI APPOINTED AUXILIARY
Vatican City (Fides Service) – The Holy Father, Pope John Paul II, has, 12 December 2003, appointed Auxiliary of the diocese of Mymensingh (Bangladesh) Reverend Father Paul Ponen Kubi, C.S.C., Vice-Provincial of the Congregation of the Holy Cross assigning to him the Titular see of Torre di Tamalleno.
The Bishop elect was born on 29 June 1956 at Dewachala, in the diocese of Mymensingh. He is a member of the Congregation of the Holy Cross. He studied for the priesthood in Bangladesh and did further studies in the United States and the Philippines. He was ordained a priest on 19 November 1986 by Pope John Paul II during his Apostolic Visit to Bangladesh. He has since been: assistant priest, Rector of the Minor Seminary, Director of the pre-novitiate formation house and the CSC Scholasticate and Vice-Provincial of the Holy Cross Congregation in Bangladesh.
The Diocese of Mymensingh (1987) is a suffragan of Dhaka, the only ecclesiastical province in Bangladesh. It is situated in northern Bangladesh and covers an area of 16.448 sq. km. It has a population of 14.215.754 (mostly members of the Garo or Mandi tribes); there are 65.220 Catholics gathered in 10 parishes and 8 sub-parishes, looked after by 28 priests (17 diocesan, 11 religious), 101 women religious, 347 full time paid Catechists and 113 major seminarians. The only centre of contemplative life in Bangladesh, the Mymensingh convent of Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration is in this diocese. The area was evangelised by the Congregation of the Holy Cross. The Ordinary since 1987 is Bishop Francis A. Gomes. (S.L.) (Fides Service 29/12/2003; lines 18; words 226)
Acta of the Holy See
- 2013-01-28 - Appointment of Auxiliary Bishop of Niamey
- 2013-01-21 - Resignation of the Bishop of Mouila and appointment of Successor
- 2013-01-18 - Appointment of the Bishop of Thiès
- 2013-01-16 - Resignation of the Bishop of Bukoba and appointment of successor and Apostolic Administrator of Singida
- 2013-01-02 - Erection of the new dioceses of Gboko and Katsina-Ala and appointment of the first Bishops
- 2013-01-02 - Appointment of Coadjutor Archbishop of Singapore
- 2013-01-02 - Resignation of the Bishop of Udaipur and appointment of successor
- 2012-12-28 - Appointment of Coadjutor of Bùi Chu
- 2012-12-21 - Resignation of the Archbishop of Suva and appointment of Successor
- 2012-12-10 - Appointment of the Archbishop of Keewatin-Le Pas