ASIA/INDIA - CATHOLIC NGO WINS AWARD FOR EDUCATION OF TRIBALS
New Delhi (Fides Service) – A Catholic NGO “Gram Mangal” has received the Maschio Memorial Award, in memory of an Italian Salesian priest Aurelio Maschio who distinguished himself for his service to promote the development of Tribals in India. The priest died in 1996,
The award is an act of recognition to “Gram Mangal” – based in Dahanu, in the state of Maharashtra – for its activity to use new methods in teaching Tribal children and young people belonging to rural groups Warlis, Kathkaris and Malhar Kolhis, often out of reach for regular state and partially state school system.
Since its foundation in 1982 “Gram Mangal” has dug wells, set up infrastructures, watering systems for farming, medical dispensaries among the Tribal peoples. Today it focuses particularly on primary and secondary education.
The award was presented to Father William Falcao, Rector of the Don Bosco High School in Ahmednagar with the motivation “Gram Mangal has been chosen as an example for other NGOs working in the area”.
Previous years the Maschio Memorial Award was presented to Mother Teresa of Calcutta and Gladys Staines, the wife and mother respectively of an Australian Protestant missionary and two sons burned alive by fundamentalists Hindus. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 12/09/2003 Lines: 25 Words: 234)
- 2015-07-09 - Violence prevents aid workers to provide safe medical care
- 2015-02-23 - Release of Indian Jesuit held hostage for eight months
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"