AFRICA/CAMEROON - SALESIANS IN AFRICA: FIFTY PERCENT LOCAL MEN, A SOURCE OF HOPE FOR THE FUTURE TO BE ENCOURAGED
Yaounde (Fides/ANS) – “I think we can look with confidence to the future of Salesian Africa: almost half our confreres are local men. They are the fruits of our Project Africa” said Father Valentin de Pablo regional Salesian councillor for Africa in a recent interview. The regional councillor also listed present day challenges in Africa: “The first stage was the expansion of Project Africa now we must consolidate our presence. This is a delicate time which calls for careful formation of the young confreres, of their Salesian identity. We must identify criteria for discernment and ongoing attention. Another challenge is posed by the Salesian communities themselves, which are the expression of Don Bosco charisma. It is through the community that this charisma is rendered visible. It is revealed through our work of education, evangelisation, human promotion. The quality of our communities is at the basis of our flourishing in Africa. Our communities give witness thanks to the contribution of single members”. In Africa there are 1,127 Salesians and 76 novices working on over 150 centres and communities: parishes, oratories, youth centres, schools, universities, homes for youth in difficulty, centres for catechesis and pastoral care, professional training schools. SL (Fides Service 16/5/2003 EM lines 14 Words: 193)
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished