ASIA/IRAQ - FIRST CHRISTIAN CONGRESS CONCLUDES WITH FORMATION OF INDEPENDENT CHURCH COUNCIL
Rome (Fides Service) – The first Christian Congress in Iraq on the theme “Our unity and our Rights” held in Baghdad attended also by Patrick Kanadi, delegate of Paul Bremer civil administrator in Iraq. Kanadi said “Christians in Iraq have a very ancient civilisation and a great history in their language, heritage and religions which dates to the time of Abraham, our Father in the faith with the Muslims. Today I honour this ancient Church which has retained its heritage and traditions despite years of difficulties and persecution ”, he concluded.
Addressing the Congress Bishop Shlemon Warduni, Patriarchal Administrator of the Chaldean Catholic Church, said: “the purpose of this Congress is to form an independent Church Council to present the Christian thought and word to the government and the people and cooperate with everyone to build a new Iraq. (B.M.) (25/10/2003 Fides Service; lines:16 words:173)
- 2015-02-23 - Release of Indian Jesuit held hostage for eight months
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament