ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – NO TO N. KOREA’s NUCLEAR PROGRAMME: “PEACE IN THIS LAND”. KOREAN BISHOPS CALL FOR RECONCILIATION ON THE PENINSULA
Seoul (Fides Service) – No to North Korea’s nuclear programme, yes to a resuming of peace talks and reconciliation between the two sides of the Korean peninsula, to lead in an era of peaceful and coexistence and harmony in the Far East.
These requests were made in a message “Peace on this Land”, issued by the Catholic Bishops’ Commission for Social Affairs headed by Rev. Augustine Cheong Myong-jo. The message calls on political and religious leaders and all people of goodwill to work together to find a peaceful solution to the question of North Korea’s nuclear programme.
The Commission warns: “The nuclear threat in North Korea is too dangerous to be used as an element of diplomatic tactics, because on it depends the destiny of the entire Korean people”, and calls urgently on all involved countries to “be builders of peace through sincere dialogue and tolerance, because peace is not built with arms: only order given by God is the key to peace, not the logic of power”.
The document recalls the essential conditions for peace: the four pillars underlined in Pacem in Terris and mentioned by Pope John Paul II in his message for World Peace Day 2003: truth, justice, love and freedom.
The Commission calls on Catholics to be the first to practice the love that Christ taught on the Cross and all believers to work together build a better world of solidarity, spirit of mercy and charity, values common to all religions. PA (Fides Service 20/10/2003 EM lines 30 Words: 313)
ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – NO TO N. KOREA’S NUCLEAR PROGRAMME: “PEACE IN THIS LAND”. KOREAN BISHOPS CALL FOR RECONCILIATION ON THE PENINSULA
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls