AFRICA/TANZANIA - MISSION SUNDAY: REMEMBERING POPE JOHN PAUL II’S VISIT AND CELEBRATING HIS 25TH YEAR OF PONTIFICATE
Dar es Salaam (Fides Service) – “Now it is your turn to be witnesses of Christ in Moshi diocese, in Tanzania the continent of Africa and to the ends of the earth”. These were Pope John Paul II’s stirring words during his visit to Moshi diocese, Tanzania on 5 September 1990. These very words of the Pope in original Swahili were played on a cassette tape at the beginning of Mission Awareness Seminar in Moshi on 16 October to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Holy Father’s Pontificate. This was reported to Fides Service by Father Joseph Healy MM, co-ordinator Mission Awareness Committee MAC of the Religious Superiors Association of Tanzania RSAT. The Mission Awareness Seminar was co-ordinated by the organisation of Religious in Moshi diocese and conducted by three MAC members. Some 145 persons took part, mainly African women Religious.
Another Mission Awareness Seminar will take place at the Spiritan Missionary Seminary Njiro Arusha 20 and 21 October. Parishes and communities in Moshi diocese and Arusha diocese celebrate Mission Sunday with elaborate Eucharistic Liturgies including singing, dancing and the reading of the Pope’s Message for World Mission Sunday 2003. Many full day celebrations include processions, plays, speeches, displays, the explanation of the official Swahili poster for World Mission Sunday, and a festive meal. There will also be special recitations of the Rosary to mark the end of the Year of the Rosary. LM (Fides Service 18/10/2003 EM lines 24 Words: 263)
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty