EUROPE/ITALY - On Sunday 25 March athletes will set out to carry the Torch of Lolek from Rome to Poland to mark the 2° anniversary of the dearly beloved Pope John Paul II
Rome (Fides Service) - For the second year running in commemoration of the dearly loved Pontiff John Paul II who died on 2 April 2005, the Torch of Lolek, as Karol Wojtyla was called when he was a boy, will be carried from Rome to the late Pope’s home town of Krakow in Poland. Also this second edition will combine Spirituality and Sport and there will be a special stop in Venice with a torch- light procession of boats along the Canal Grande of Dragon Boats and Canoes.
The 8 lap journey will commence on Sunday 25 after a special Mass and the lighting of the Torch at the tomb of John Paul II in St Peter’s Basilica. Polish and Italian athletes will alternate along the route. These athletes members of religious and sports associations, including young sportsmen with a disability, are motivated by a desire to render homage to the Polish Pope and to thank God for the gift of his life of teaching, witness and love. (S.L.) (Agenzia Fides 23/3/2007; righe 13, parole 177)
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure