EUROPE/SWITZERLAND - Pontifical Mission Societies in Switzerland choose Madagascar as symbol country for missionary month of October and Mission Sunday
Fribourg (Agenzia Fides) - “In every country the month of October must be considered the month of universal mission. The penultimate Sunday, called Mission Sunday, is the apex as the feast of Catholicity and universal solidarity”: quoting Pope John Paul II (1980), the Pontifical Mission Societies in Switzerland/Liechtenstein (Missio Schweiz Liechtenstein) present their campaign for the month of mission, focussed this year on Madagascar as symbol country. The motto of the campaign is “Time for Sharing Life”, to recall what we learn from the nomad Bara people living in the south of the island of Madagascar, who are known to always find time to help one another and to consider the community and the common good most important!
Choosing every year a different symbol country for its mission campaign Missio Schweiz Liechtenstein aims to remind local Catholics of the great variety and multiplicity of the universal Church.
Bishop Philippe Ranaivomanana of the diocese of Ihosy where the Bara people live wrote a letter of thanks to Catholics in Switzerland and Liechtenstein. He thanked Fr Bernard Maillard PMS National Director for visiting the diocese recalling a local saying: “Never pass by the hut of a friend without stopping to see him” and said. “your visit will help Catholics in Switzerland and Liechtenstein build bonds of friendship with our people, sharing our concerns and hopes, being close to us in the missionary month with their prayers and material offerings.”
Material distributed by Missio Schweiz Liechtenstein for this month of October includes information about Madagascar, the Bara people and the work of animation in parishes. During the month Catholics are invited to join a chain of prayer. For information see Missio Schweiz Liechtenstein web site. (MS) (Agenzia Fides 13/10/2006 - 27 righe, 359 parole)
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 AFRICA - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure
- 2012-05-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The "Party of Solidarity" at risk, accused by "warlords"
- 2012-04-18 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN -Apprehension for disabled children of the Pro Children Association of Kabul
- 2012-04-16 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Leaders of civil society: "It will take ten years to stop the Taliban, but the people are not with them"
- 2012-03-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The massacre of Kandahar "plays into the hands of the Taliban": Civil society calls for justice and transparency