EUROPE/POLAND - “The recent pastoral visit which Pope Benedict XVI made to our country gave new impulse to our efforts to focus more clearly on missionary cooperation” says PMS national director illustrating numerous mission activities in the coming months.
Warsaw (Agenzia Fides) - June in Poland was an eminently missionary month according to national director of the Pontifical Mission Societies in that country Fr. Jan Piotrowski. The first major event was the 6th National Holy Childhood Congress in two sessions both attended by 7,000 children, June 1 at Jasna Góra - Czestochowa and 10 June at Tczew. The theme of the meeting which also served to prepare the 150th anniversary of Holy Childhood in Poland, was "Carrying Christ to the World".
Another event was a National Missionaries Meeting in Warsaw attended by 130 Polish missionaries presently working various countries of the world. The missionaries shared their experience and listened to a conference given by the national director on the Challenges of Mission today in the Light of the new PMS Statute.
Two other national events will be: a Course for Mission Animators on the theme Missionary Cooperation in the Spirit of Redemptoris Missio, to be held in Warsaw 26 June 2 July for 55 people from 20 different dioceses, and a National Meeting for Seminarians on the Figure and Charisma of St Francis Xavier to be held at the Divine Word Seminary at Pieniezno. Besides these events the national PMS office has other planned for the months ahead.
“The recent pastoral visit which Pope Benedict XVI made to our country gave new impulse to our efforts to focus more clearly on missionary cooperation in the Church in Poland” - said Fr. Jan. In this field the PMS office is preparing a National Mission Meeting 17 to19 September and then a National Mission Council 20 September presided by Mgr. Wiktor Skworc. In October Mission Week and World Mission Sunday will focus on the theme “Carrying Hope to the Poor” in line with the 2005/2006 pastoral plan. Lastly there will be the 15th edition of the annual Missiology Session 2-3 December on the figure of Francis Xavier and a prayer vigil at Jasna Góra - Czestochowa with the presence of the Secretary General of the Pontifical Missionary Union Fr Vito del Prete, PIME, from Rome. (RG) (Agenzia Fides 27/6/2006, righe 28, parole 402)
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 AFRICA - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure
- 2012-05-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The "Party of Solidarity" at risk, accused by "warlords"
- 2012-04-18 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN -Apprehension for disabled children of the Pro Children Association of Kabul
- 2012-04-16 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Leaders of civil society: "It will take ten years to stop the Taliban, but the people are not with them"
- 2012-03-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The massacre of Kandahar "plays into the hands of the Taliban": Civil society calls for justice and transparency