OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - NEW SALESIAN MISSIONARY ARRIVES IN PNG FROM INDIA TO HELP LOCAL CHURCH WITH EVANGELISATION AND EDUCATION
Port Moresby (Fides Service) – Indian Salesian Father Clifford Morais has arrived in Port Moresby to give a hand with teaching and youth pastoral. He will work at the Don Bosco Technical School in Port Moresby, as well as taking charge of youth pastoral at the Salesian Mission at Boroko. Father Clifford received his missionary mandate during a solemn Mass on September 13 at Our Lady’s Don Bosco Shrine in Bombay.
“When I was nine years old I was fascinated by a documentary film on missionary work in Brazil” Father Clifford tells Fides Service. “Today I realise that the Lord is calling me too to be a missionary of his Gospel”.
Father Clifford who comes from a Catholic family, is a former successful manager of a large shipping company and he entered the Salesian Novitiate at the age of 31. “I came to know about the Salesians when I saw them organising activities among my students friends at university” he says.
The Salesians first came to Papua New Guinea in 1980 and they are engaged mainly in education and have opened a number of schools. Their presence has given rise to vocations. Boroko Mission was opened in 1998 and today it has a house for boys aspiring to become Salesians, a professional training school offering six different courses with over 300 students from provinces all over Papua New Guinea. PA (Fides Service 15/9/2003 EM lines 30 Words: 304)
OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls