ASIA/SINGAPORE - SARS ALARM BUT WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION APPEALS FOR CALM BUT NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS. CHINESE CATHOLICS CARRY ON DAILY PRAYERS
Singapore (Fides Service) – A new case of SARS Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome in Singapore has put the international community in alarm. In various parts of the world, especially those countries affected by the virus earlier in the year, have announced measures to prevent a possible new emergency. Mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan, the most affected countries in Spring this year, have intensified control in airports and public places.
The Catholic community in Beijing, which sustained the sufferers and health workers with continual prayer in the Spring, has intensified prayers to Our lady to protect the people of China. During the month of August in Beijing parish priests visited the Catholic doctors and paramedics who devoted themselves to assisting the SARS stricken people to express thanks with spiritual and concrete comfort. NZ (Fides Service 10/9/2003 EM lines 21 Words: 194)
- 2014-02-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 AFRICA - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure