EUROPE/SPAIN - A concrete response to the homeless: the commitment of Caritas Burgos

Tuesday, 28 November 2017 solidarity   mercy   poverty   homeless   caritas  


Burgos (Agenzia Fides) - "We are people. We have rights. No homeless": this is the theme of the national Spanish Caritas campaign dedicated to the homeless. During the presentation of the campaign last week, Fernando García Cadiñanos, a delegate of Caritas Burgos, highlighted the three objectives: "The first goal is to give visibility to the reality of many people who do not have a home. The second goal is to raise public awareness so nobody turns the other way. The third is to work with concrete proposals so that the various organizations or associations of the city engage in changing the lives of these homeless".
In a conversation with Agenzia Fides, David Polo, responsible for the "Personas sin Hogar" program of Caritas Burgos, explained the service provided to these people: "We provide help to those in serious social exclusion situations, in particular from a technical and professional point of view.
These homeless people are turning to Caritas because they find, in addition to human warmth and fraternal reception, a concrete response to their health, social, and family issues".
Pole says: "We try not to lose sight of the evangelical perspective: when a person sits in front of us we try to do the utmost, acting in the spirit of solidarity, encounter, mercy".
Polo told Fides that last Sunday, a youth gathering, 12-year-old boys and girls, was organized, "to make them aware of this reality regarding homeless people".
Throughout Spain, it is estimated that there are about 40,000 people living on the street. Caritas Burgos in its diocese alone, gave assistance this year, from January to September, to a total of 1143 people, 59% were Spanish (675 people) and the remaining 41% foreigners. (LG) (Agenzia Fides, 28/11/2017)