AMERICA/GUATEMALA - TOWARDS CAM 2 AMERICAN MISSION CONGRESS – PILGRIM IMAGES OF CRUCIFIED CHRIST OF ESQUIPULAS OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE ARRIVE IN GUATEMALA AFTER VISITING CENTRAL AMERICA
Guatemala City (Fides Service) – A special pilgrimage of Sacred Images in preparation for the Second American Mission Congress has arrived in Guatemala, where the Congress will take place. Since November 2002 images of the Crucified Christ of Esquipulas and Our Lady of Guadalupe have been carried across central America in pilgrimage to encourage the communities of Central America to build the Kingdom of God through evangelisation, to strengthen the Christian experience in the local Holy Year of Mission and to pray for a fruitful CAM 2 which will take place in Guatemala City a November.
The pilgrimage began in Panama, visiting dioceses and parishes and then passed to Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras and El Salvador. Everywhere it was met with deep fervour and enthusiasm, although most of the people are poor, they are rich in faith.
The pilgrimage arrived in Guatemala City on Saturday 6 September welcomed by members of the CAM 2 organising committee, Bishop Julio Cabrera Ovalle, of Jalapa also President of the Missions Commission of the Bishops’ Conference of Guatemala and Father Antonio Bernasconi, National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies in Guatemala and Co-ordinator for CAM2, as well as a large group of priests, religious and laity from El Salvador and Guatemala. Large crowds of people from all around, even remote villages are expected to come to venerate the Images. On this lap of its journey the Pilgrimage will also include the relics of Guatemala’s own Saint Pedro di Betancur, (canonised here by Pope John Paul II in August 2002) offered for the occasion by Archbishop Rodolfo Quezeda Totunu of Guatemala who is President of the Bishop’s Conference. The Pilgrimage of Sacred Images will continue visiting Guatemala until November 30th which is the closing date of CAM2 (R.Z.) (Fides Service 5/9/2003; lines 23; words 284).
- 2015-08-07 - Women and children are the main victims of the war in the Country
- 2015-07-09 - Violence prevents aid workers to provide safe medical care
- 2015-02-23 - Release of Indian Jesuit held hostage for eight months
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society