AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Archbishop of Kaduna: "The government must compensate churches and other victims of attacks carried out by Boko Haram"

Wednesday, 23 August 2017 persecutions  

Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "In the past six years, insurgents have attacked churches and other Christian places in the north, but the federal government is yet to compensate the victims", said His Exc. Mgr. Matthew Man-oso Ndagoso, Archbishop of Kaduna, speaking on behalf of the Catholic Bishops of Kaduna Ecclesiastical Province (comprised of the dioceses of Kaduna, Sokoto, Kotangora, Zaria, Minna, Kano and Kafanchan) in the north of Nigeria, at the end of their plenary session, held at the cathedral in Minna.
Mgr. Ndagoso told journalists: "I want to inform you that the Catholic Church has not received any support from the federal government for the Churches affected".
The first terrorist attack was on St. Theresa Catholic Church, Madalla, on December 25, 2011 (see Fides 28/12/2011).
"Last year, some youths attacked the St. Philips Catholic ‎Church, Bakin Iku, near Suleja, destroying properties valued at several millions of Naira. No one has even sympathised with us", the Archbishop said.
Mgr. Ndagoso said that the federal government was supposed to be responsible for giving assistance to the churches and the victims. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides, 23/8/2017)


Share: Facebook Twitter Google Blogger Altri Social Network