ASIA/INDIA - “MOTHER TERESA THE MOST PRECIOUS GEM”: SCHOOL CONTEST IN RAJASTHAN STATE, CHILDREN OF ALL AGES CHRISTIAN AND NON, BUSY PRODUCING ESSAYS, PAINTINGS, SCULPTURES ON MOTHER TERESA
Jaipur (Fides Agency) – Jaipur is known for its precious resources and production of gems, but the local people consider the most precious of all gems Mother Teresa of Calcutta, the little nun clad in a white sari who will be inscribed in the Catholic Church’s Book of the Blessed on 19 October in Rome. In Jaipur, capital of Rajasthan state the whole community, children in the fore, is preparing to celebrate the event.
Jaipur diocese has launched a campaign to spread knowledge of Mother Teresa. The initiative, entitled “Mother Teresa the most precious gem”, is being promoted in every school in the region to spread among all children, Christians and non, the ideals, life and message of Mother Teresa.
The initiative was taken by layman Michael Castellino, who met Mother Teresa in 1981, “that day my life changed ” he tells Fides. The campaign includes a contest for children. “Ninety percent of the schools involved are run by the state or people of non Christian religions, but they welcomed the initiative. The children are encouraged to produce an essay, a drawing or a sculpture on Mother Teresa and her message of love and care for the poorest of the poor. It is hoped that this will be a source of inspiration for the youngsters in their future life as adults. Mr Castellino, a committed lay Catholic, found sponsors at local colleges and businesses and the campaign is having great success. The winning entries will be shown at an exhibition to demonstrate what Indian children of all religions think about Mother Teresa. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 4/9/2003 Lines: 27 Words: 318)
- 2015-07-09 - Violence prevents aid workers to provide safe medical care
- 2015-02-23 - Release of Indian Jesuit held hostage for eight months
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"