ASIA/PAKISTAN - DESPITE TENSION WITH MUSLIMS CHRISTIANS OCCUPY GROWING SPACE ON RADIO AND NOT ONLY CATHOLIC COMPANIES
Lahore (Fides Service ) – The number of Christian commentators and personalities heard on the radio in Pakistan is growing steadily and not only on Catholic radios. Besides Radio Veritas in Urdu, which broadcasts an annual average of 400 programmes on social, moral, religious subjects as well as news and information, Radio Pakistan, a secular radio Lahore, in Punjab province, gives increasing space to Catholic voices and opinions. Recently Father Inayat Bernard, of Lahore archdiocese, who is head of the Indian Bishops’ Commission Ecumenism and interreligious Dialogue was invited to take part in a talk show broadcast to mark the 56th anniversary of India’s independence.
With regard to the Catholic radios in India, a major place goes to Radio Veritas in Urdu (official language in Pakistan), run in Pakistan by Father John Nadeem Shakir, with the support of the Bishops’ Commission for Social Communications. The radio is highly appreciated by Christians and Muslims alike and receives regular letters, e-mail messages and fax of praise and gratitude for the high quality of the programmes.
In future Radio Veritas in Urdu hopes to win an audience of young people by promoting radio programmes in schools, and organising talent scout seminars to increase the number of collaborators. (PA) (Fides Service 4/9/2003 lines 23 words 237 )
- 2015-02-23 - Release of Indian Jesuit held hostage for eight months
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament