ASIA/IRAQ - PADRE NIZAR SEMAAN. “THE NEW IRAQI GOVERNMENT IS NOT FAR FROM A RETURN TO NORMALITY”
Baghdad (Fides Service)- “The setting up of the new government is an important step on the way to normality for Iraq ” Catholic priest Father Nizar Semaan, of Ninive diocese in northern Iraq, tells Fides with regard to the installation of the Iraqi transition government. “The first consideration is that the new executive represents the whole of society. The ministers are 13 Shiites, 5 Sunnis , 5 Kurds, one Christian and one Turkman.”
“Let’s hope” Father Nizar adds, “that these people are of moral and professional integrity and that they are not there only to fill a space or to make one of the parties happy because the new Iraq needs people who love this country and believe in democracy and freedom. In brief people who work for the good of all Iraqis and help to eliminate the tears and troubles of these people who have suffered for decades of dictatorship and war”.
With regard to the ministerial composition Father Nizar says: “In the new government three ministries are missing, defence, information and religious activity, but we do have a human rights minister for the first time. This is a good sign of progress”.
Father Nizar concludes: “I wish the new government every success hoping it will be able to operate for the good of Iraq and show the world a splendid Iraq full of life and humanity. We Iraqi Christians pray every day for the new government and especially for the Christian representative, Behnam Zaia Buols, Transport minister, that the Lord of peace and hope may give them strength, intelligence and wisdom to govern Iraq”. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides lines 26 words 313)
- 2015-08-07 - Women and children are the main victims of the war in the Country
- 2015-07-09 - Violence prevents aid workers to provide safe medical care
- 2015-02-23 - Release of Indian Jesuit held hostage for eight months
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society