Science and Medicine
AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE - IN MAPUTO DOCTORS, NURSES, LABORATORY AND SOCIAL WORKERS ATTEND FIRST INTERNATIONAL COURSE ON DRUG RESOURCES ENHANCEMENT AGAINST AIDS
Rome (Fides Service) - From 20 to 29 August 85 doctors, nurses social workers, laboratory workers and biology experts from Malawi, Tanzania, Angola, Guinea Bissau and Mozambique attended the first course in Drug Resources Enhancement against Aids in Mozambique organised in Africa. The 85 participants work in hospitals, maternity wards and health centres in their respective countries where it will soon be possible to use the new AIDS treatment. The Course Drug Resources Enhancement against Aids in Mozambique was promoted by the S. Egidio Community.
During the general part among the subjects addressed, the course focused on epidemology and the clinical history of the virus, diagnostics and principles of treatment.
The participants then followed different lectures according to their respective professional competence. Co-ordinators of services focused on the programme contexts, organisation of services, team work and qualities of the co-ordinator. Information was also given with regard methods of approach persuade sufferers to undertake the treatment programme. In the part for medical doctors clinical cases were simulated and solutions illustrated involving the application of the AIDS protocol. The focus then turned to the problems and treatment of child patients. Attention was given to the protocol’s electronic programme as well as aspects of nutrition and bio-security.
Biologists and laboratory workers were instructed in diagnostics with practical exercises and simulation using equipment usually found in most laboratories of advanced diagnostics. Finally in groups the participants visited the Drug Resources Enhancement against Aids centre operating in Mozambique. (AP) (4/9/2003 Fides Service; lines:27 words:304)
SCIENCE AND MEDICINE
- 2009-11-05 - 748 new suspected cases of dengue fever: national mobilization against mosquitoes to fight epidemic hitting the country for the first time
- 2009-11-05 - Armed conflicts, misinformation, lack of access to basic social services, drug addicts and precarious social status of women among the causes of the increase in HIV/AIDS
- 2009-11-03 - Capuchins start hospital for islands of Fogo and Brava
- 2009-10-31 - Ethics knows neither social state nor age limit: Conference on medical and research ethics
- 2009-10-27 - For the first time, refugee children vaccinated against measles in Waziristan zone
- 2009-10-22 - Catholic Church launches campaign against AIDS
- 2009-10-19 - Van Lang Elementary School opened thanks to Italian Association Amici di Raoul Follereau (AIFO)
- 2009-09-18 - September 23-24 in Rome, European medical experts meet for a presentation of the “Health and Child” project
- 2009-09-16 - Catholic Church confirms commitment to the poor and most in need
- 2009-09-14 - At least 673 cases of acute diarrhea and/or cholera in 11 of the 34 provinces in the nation