ASIA/SYRIA - The Maronite Archbishop of Aleppo: "truce has failed. Firing on civilians who wanted to flee the rebel-held neighborhoods"

Saturday, 5 November 2016 wars   oriental churches  

proterrasancta.org

Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - The truce in Aleppo did not have concrete effects, announced by the Syrian army and the Russian military forces for Friday, November 4 with the motivation to allow civilians of eastern areas - in the hands of anti- Assad militiamen - to escape from the besieged areas. This was confirmed to Agenzia Fides by Maronite Archbishop Joseph Tobij, at the head of the Maronite archieparchy of the Syrian martyred city. "Some civilians" the Archbishop told Fides "wanted to leave, but this was not possible". The Archbishop said that the offensive launched last week by rebels and jihadist militias against the neighborhoods controlled by the Syrian army caused nearly ninety dead: "mortar shells also hit schools. The inhabitants are again terrified. Those who live in Hamadaniye and Halab al Jadida areas have left their homes. The latest attacks have forced thousands of families to flee to safer areas". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/11/2016)


Share: Facebook Twitter Google Blogger Altri Social Network