ASIA/NEPAL - Local Church recalls its beginning celebrating two anniversaries: 10 years for the parish church of the Assumption and 25 years for the Missionaries of Charity
Kathmandu (Fides Service) - Despite the difficult situation in Nepal where peace has yet to be restored, the local Church community, 7,500 Catholics among a population of 27 million mainly Hindus, carries on with life as usual and recently celebrated two important anniversaries: the 10th anniversary of the consecration of the parish church of the Assumption in the capital Kathmandu and 25 years of service in Nepal of the Sisters Missionaries of Charity.
The church of the Assumption consecrated in 1995 by Cardinal Josef Tomko, at that time Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelisation of Peoples, is a point of reference for Catholics in the capital Kathmandu. Various events were organised to celebrate the 10th anniversary including a special Mass celebrated by Apostolic Pro-Prefect, Fr. Pius Perumana attended by about one thousand people. The parish also issued a special anniversary leaflet with a photograph of the church and a description of Catholic activities and services in Nepal.
The second anniversary the 25 years of service of the Missionaries of Charity, the Sisters of Mother Teresa of Calcutta, was marked with Mass in the chapel of the convent in Kathmandu presided by Bishop Anthony Sharma prefect apostolic of Nepal in the presence of over 100 women religious, Missionaries of Charity and Sisters from other institutes. Sr Mary Leslie, Superior of the Missionaries of Charity in Nepal, recalled how the first Sisters came in 1980 to open a small home to care for the terminally ill and the poorest of the poor. Later two more homes were opened, one in Kathmandu for the elderly in need and the other, a house of prayer, in Pokahara. Sr Lesile recalled that when Mother Teresa came to visit the community in Nepal she washed and fed some of the sick herself. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 7/9/2005 righe 26 parole 215)
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished