EUROPE/ITALY - AT RIVA DEL GARDA AN APPOINTMENT TO UNDERSTAND HOW THE MAJOR MEANS OF MASS COMMUNICATIONS FACE THE QUESTION OF COOPERATION IN DEVELOPMENT AND INTERNATIONAL SOLIDARITY
Rome (Fides Service) - From 24 to 29 August hundreds of people will gather at Riva del Garda (Italy) with important experts for the 14th Week of Education to Globalisation to reflect on the theme: “Information and Development. Superficiality in News, the Truth of History” . The Week is organised jointly by the Italian NGO VIS (volunteers for development) of the Salesian Fathers in collaboration with UNIP International University of the Institutions of Peoples for Peace – Foundation Opera Campana dei Caduti di Rovereto – an important cultural institution in the field of peace studies.
This year’s Week of Education to Globalisation will look at how the Media approach the question of cooperation for development and international solidarity. More than ever today, in order to exist and be taken into consideration, it is indispensable to be present in some way in the Media. Unfortunately millions of people in the southern hemisphere are either denied the right to be represented, or they are represented only from their worst sides. Western media speak of them in fact only when there are situations of famine, war, natural disasters to report. The Week of Education to Globalisation will analyse the image offered by the Media of culture, the vicissitudes and problems of “the foreigner” . It will also develop themes on the modalities and effectiveness of the communications of NGOs and the digital divide between the north and the south.
The event, open to all, intends to reflect on questions connected with information and development, and to identify and highlight certain factors which may determine the strategy of communications from a point of view both of traditional or new Media and organisations working for development. Numerous personalities have been invited to attend the Week of Education to Globalisation which will bring together in discussion major experts in communications, professionals of cooperation with development, university teachers and operators. AP (Fides Service 30/7/2003 EM lines 27 Words: 342)
- 2015-02-23 - Release of Indian Jesuit held hostage for eight months
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament