VATICAN - IN WEDNESDAY AUDIENCE TEACHING THE POPE SAYS: “WE ARE NOT LEFT ALONE, OUR DAYS ARE NOT RULED BY CHAOS OR FATE” AND HE APPEALS FOR PEACE IN LIBERIA AND UGANDA
Vatican City (Fides Service) – During the General Audience today Wednesday 2 July, Pope John Paul II commented on psalm 145 – “Blessed are those who hope in the Lord” and at the end of the audience he appealed for peace in certain areas of Africa.
The Pope said: “Psalm 145 has its apex in the proclamation of God’s sovereignty over human history. At the end of the Psalm it is said in fact
Human beings are faced with the choice between two contrasting possibilities: “On the one hand there is the temptation to trust in the powerful adopting their criteria inspired by evil, egoism and pride”, the other path “is the one exalted by the Psalmist with the exclamation:
At the end of the audience the Holy Father launched the following appeal for peace in certain areas of Africa: “With deep sadness I watch the tragic events in Liberia and northern Uganda. I call for commitment on the part of everyone so that those dear peoples of Africa may once again find peace and security and are not denied the future to which they have a right. I also express my closeness to the local Churches, sorely tried in persons and activities, while I encourage pastors and people to be strong and steady in hope. May this be obtained from divine Mercy by our insistent prayer.” SL (Fides Service 2/7/2003 EM lines 28 Words: 403)
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished