AFRICA/NIGERIA - More than 11,000 people fleeing due to the conquest of their city by Boko Haram
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - Boko Haram has conquered the town of Gwoza, in Borno State in north-eastern Nigeria, causing the flight of more than 11,000 inhabitants. This confirms the alarm launched by the Nigerian Bishops on the change of strategy of the Islamist sect that does not limit itself in carrying out attacks but intends to control areas of the national territory (see Fides 19/08/2014).
Gwoza is located at the border with Cameroon, whose territory is increasingly threatened by the activities of Boko Haram, as demonstrated by the abduction of foreign nationals (including priests and religious nuns) that have occurred in the last year.
According to the UN Office for Humanitarian Affairs since May 2013 (when the Nigerian government declared a state of emergency in the States of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe) to date, more than 650,000 people have been forced to flee the violence of Boko Haram . (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/08/2014)
- 2014-09-26 - "I have never uttered those sentences on the CAN President", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2014-09-24 - The Bishops’ warning: "In the face of Boko Haram, the nation is in danger"
- 2014-09-19 - There are 25 cities in the hands of Boko Haram: the complaint of the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2014-09-16 - AFRICA/NIGERIA – Death sentence for military: insecurity symptom among troops combatting Boko Haram
- 2014-09-15 - AFRICA/NIGERIA – At least 2,500 Catholics killed in violence by Boko Haram, Bishop of Maiduguri reports
- 2014-09-13 - "There is no fighting in Maiduguri, but the army patrols the churches"
- 2014-09-10 - Not even its Nigerian sponsors can control Boko Haram, now an international organisation
- 2014-09-06 - “Christians, but also Muslims, flee from Boko Haram” say local Church sources
- 2014-09-04 - “What is happening in the north of Nigeria is similar to what happened in Iraq” says a priest in Abuja
- 2014-08-22 - More than 11,000 people fleeing due to the conquest of their city by Boko Haram