AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE - Seven Recollect missionaries remain alongside the population threatened by Ebola
Freetown (Agenzia Fides) - "Obliged by our pastoral responsibility, we collaborate with the government of Sierra Leone in the effort to raise awareness of the danger of the Ebola virus and how to prevent it from spreading", write the missionaries of the Order of the Augustinian Recollects that work in Sierra Leone, one of the states hardest hit by the epidemic of Ebola.
There are seven Recollects who have decided to stay in mission despite the risks. There are four Filipinos and three Spanish who work in two parishes in Makeni. Three other Filipino missionaries who are at home for a rest period cannot go back to Sierra Leone because it is prohibited to travel to Countries at risk.
"They take care of the people, they administer the sacraments, preside over the daily prayer with the faithful. This is what we call the apostolate of presence so that people do not feel abandoned. Those who have been affected by the virus feel accompanied, they highlight the fact that the Church suffers with them, that the Church works for them", said Fr. Lauro Larlar, Provincial of the Order for the Philippines.
The last toll of the epidemic is 1,350 deaths in West Africa (Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea and Nigeria). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/08/2014)
- 2015-01-31 - Entire populations deprived of basic health services: commitment to the re-opening of the hospital in Lunsar
- 2015-01-19 - Emergency Ebola: light at the end of the tunnel
- 2014-12-30 - Stigma and discrimination, Ebola also jeopardizes religious practices
- 2014-12-18 - Ebola: appeal of the Hospital in Serabu; for FAO a million people at risk of hunger
- 2014-12-06 - AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE – Indian Camillians ready for “mission Ebola” in Sierra Leone
- 2014-11-14 - Mobile sinks to counter Ebola
- 2014-10-29 - The Camillians and the emergency of Ebola: the virus exacerbates an already complex and precarious situation
- 2014-10-20 - A cassava field transformed into an ebola treatment center
- 2014-10-09 - Orphans who survived Ebola are marginalized for fear of witchcraft and black magic
- 2014-10-08 - Emergency ebola: on October 4 in just 24 hours 121 deaths and 81 new cases were recorded