AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The Church launches an alarm regarding the increase of suicides among teenagers
Santiago del Estero (Agenzia Fides) - "Young people and teenagers are the most valuable asset of a nation and should be a major concern of all those who have responsibilities in their formation" said Mgr. Torrado Mosconi, Auxiliary Bishop of Santiago del Estero (Argentina), in a message in which he addresses a pressing appeal to families and to the civil community to deal with the tragedy regarding the increase of suicides among teenagers.
Mgr. Torrado Mosconi emphasizes the role of education in instilling positive values in young people in order to face the difficulties of life. "One can love children even if one says no to some of their needs. God should be present in homes through daily family prayer, the appreciation of spiritual realities and domestic peace. One should strive to offer important values that give meaning to the effort and sacrifice for the sake of an ideal", wrote the Bishop in the message sent to Fides.
"Unfortunately, many young people grow up without the consciousness of God's presence. Without hope, without adequate family support, without real friends, without faith formation, without the opportunity to study or work. There are many who are marginalized by society and are often treated as "leftovers".
They want to escape from their situation, sometimes to the point of committing suicide", concluded Mgr. Torrado Mosconi.
A report by the Direccion General de Salud y Asistencia Social asserts that in Argentina the number of youth suicides has increased in parallel to the growth of violence among adolescents. Also in Argentina, in 1991-2000 the suicide mortality rate increased from 1.5% to 6.1%, especially in the age group between 15 and 24. "Psycho-social diseases, lack of goals, drug use, lack of role models and values, are key triggers of suicide", says the Argentine report. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/08/2014)
- 2015-07-22 - "Bring Christ to families": hundreds of young people on a mission to Goya
- 2015-07-21 - "Mission, a way of life": towards the fourth National Meeting of Missionary Groups
- 2015-07-15 - Nearly 30 percent of Argentines live in a situation of poverty
- 2015-07-10 - The Archbishop of Tucuman denounces: laws that violate the rights and freedom of conscience, attacks against the Church, a climate of fear
- 2015-06-24 - Bishop of Jujuy: "We need the State’s strong support against drugs"
- 2015-06-18 - The first Congress on intercultural and interreligious dialogue
- 2015-06-12 - "We are concerned about the new poor", said Mgr. Ojea, head of Caritas
- 2015-06-11 - "In this America's Cup, and always, say no to trafficking": campaign against human trafficking
- 2015-05-28 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Child nutrition, drugs and poverty: meeting of Bishops and authorities of Buenos Aires
- 2015-05-26 - The Church's message for the National holiday: no to hatred, play politics with moral integrity