AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - "Colombia is capable of mercy", said Cardinal Rubén Salazar Gómez at the III World Apostolic Congress on Mercy WACOM, held in Bogota from August 15 to 19, which was attended by 4 Cardinals, 7 bishops, 50 priests and several hundreds of religious and lay people from all over the world.
The Cardinal said in his speech that despite 50 years of fratricidal war, "only in God's mercy the attitudes of hatred can be abandoned and one can build a country based on social justice, forgiveness and peace".
During the Congress, Cuba began the meeting of the victims of the conflict with the delegations of the government and the FARC guerrillas involved in the peace talks (see Fides 18/08/2014). "It was a historic event, a meeting of silence and forgiveness, characterized by deep respect, without indifference", said Fr. Darío Echeverri Gonzalez, Secretary of the Commission for National Reconciliation who attended the event. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/08/2014)
- 2015-07-30 - Updated Spanish version of the New Testament
- 2015-07-16 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Priest murdered in the sacristy as he was about to celebrate mass
- 2015-07-13 - Once the peace agreement is signed, the real challenge of the government will be how to handle the situation
- 2015-07-09 - "The peace process is alive", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga; letter of the religious leaders
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar