AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - "Colombia is capable of mercy", said Cardinal Rubén Salazar Gómez at the III World Apostolic Congress on Mercy WACOM, held in Bogota from August 15 to 19, which was attended by 4 Cardinals, 7 bishops, 50 priests and several hundreds of religious and lay people from all over the world.
The Cardinal said in his speech that despite 50 years of fratricidal war, "only in God's mercy the attitudes of hatred can be abandoned and one can build a country based on social justice, forgiveness and peace".
During the Congress, Cuba began the meeting of the victims of the conflict with the delegations of the government and the FARC guerrillas involved in the peace talks (see Fides 18/08/2014). "It was a historic event, a meeting of silence and forgiveness, characterized by deep respect, without indifference", said Fr. Darío Echeverri Gonzalez, Secretary of the Commission for National Reconciliation who attended the event. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/08/2014)
- 2014-11-21 - The request to continue peace talks: "Do not destroy the hope of Colombians"
- 2014-11-20 - Archbishop Monsalve Mejia: "The general kidnapped will soon be released"
- 2014-11-19 - Every hour two children are victims of sexual abuse
- 2014-11-18 - The Church condemns the abduction of the General and urges to continue peace talks
- 2014-11-17 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Peace talks have been suspended after general abducted
- 2014-11-13 - From victims of violence to the protagonists of peace
- 2014-11-12 - At least 19 countries around the world recruit child soldiers
- 2014-11-06 - "Cali is suffering a pandemic of violence", denounces Mgr. Monsalve Mejía
- 2014-10-29 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – There is a risk of an outbreak of Chikungunya and Dengue: 4,500 cases in the last two months
- 2014-10-29 - The Colombian dioceses ask to defend the rights of the indigenous peoples of the Pacific