AFRICA/NIGERIA – "It is worrying to see Boko Haram trying to conquer territories", said the Archbishop of Lagos
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "The Boko Haram insurgency is becoming even more worrisome that they were trying to “conquer” territories that the military have to try and liberate", said His Exc. Mgr. Alfred Adewale Martins, Archbishop of Lagos in a statement entitled "Take to heart" with regards to the recent events which have seen Boko Haram taking control of some villages in the north of Nigeria and a series of suicide bombings committed by women also. In this regard, Mgr. Martin says that "it is most disheartening to see women and children blowing themselves up in the guise of fighting a religious war".
Mgr. Martins also appeals to Nigerians not to despair for the spread of Ebola that is creating serious concern in Nigeria and neighboring Countries. Cameroon has blocked land borders, sea and air with Nigeria to prevent the spread of the disease. Cameroon welcomes tens of thousands of Nigerians fleeing the violence of Boko Haram. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/08/2014)
AFRICA/NIGERIA – "IT IS WORRYING TO SEE BOKO HARAM TRYING TO CONQUER TERRITORIES", SAID THE ARCHBISHOP OF LAGOS
- 2014-11-27 - Boko Haram plans attacks with suicide women bombers disguised as nuns
- 2014-11-19 - File: the damage inflicted by Boko Haram to the diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-19 - More than 100,000 Catholics scattered because of Boko Haram, "but we remain to bear witness with our presence", said a priest of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-18 - The President of the Episcopal Conference warns: "The 2015 elections will create a political situation that will be explosive"
- 2014-11-10 - Archbishop Kaigama: "Politicians must abandon the electoral struggle and unite to fight Boko Haram"
- 2014-11-06 - National Prayer Vigil for peace in the nation
- 2014-10-28 - There has not been any negotiation so far with the "real" Boko Haram
- 2014-10-23 - New attacks and another 60 girls kidnapped: the possibility of a truce with Boko Haram vanishes
- 2014-10-07 - New toll of the violence perpetrated by Boko Haram: 185 churches destroyed and 190,000 civilians flee
- 2014-09-26 - "I have never uttered those sentences on the CAN President", said Mgr. Kaigama