AFRICA/NIGERIA – "It is worrying to see Boko Haram trying to conquer territories", said the Archbishop of Lagos
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "The Boko Haram insurgency is becoming even more worrisome that they were trying to “conquer” territories that the military have to try and liberate", said His Exc. Mgr. Alfred Adewale Martins, Archbishop of Lagos in a statement entitled "Take to heart" with regards to the recent events which have seen Boko Haram taking control of some villages in the north of Nigeria and a series of suicide bombings committed by women also. In this regard, Mgr. Martin says that "it is most disheartening to see women and children blowing themselves up in the guise of fighting a religious war".
Mgr. Martins also appeals to Nigerians not to despair for the spread of Ebola that is creating serious concern in Nigeria and neighboring Countries. Cameroon has blocked land borders, sea and air with Nigeria to prevent the spread of the disease. Cameroon welcomes tens of thousands of Nigerians fleeing the violence of Boko Haram. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/08/2014)
AFRICA/NIGERIA – "IT IS WORRYING TO SEE BOKO HARAM TRYING TO CONQUER TERRITORIES", SAID THE ARCHBISHOP OF LAGOS
- 2015-11-18 - New attack in the northeast while the President denounces: "the army sabotaged by corruption"
- 2015-11-12 - Bishop of Maiduguri's appeal: "We need concrete help for displaced people affected by Boko Haram"
- 2015-10-22 - Fresh attacks by Boko Haram, US intensifies military assistance to threatened countries
- 2015-09-28 - Bishops: "Need to diversify the economy in order to avoid our young people to migrate to Europe"
- 2015-09-23 - Despite the attacks, the displaced return to Maiduguri; 3 priests ordained in a community ransacked by Boko Haram
- 2015-09-17 - 60% of children are victims of abuse and violence of all kinds
- 2015-09-10 - Another priest kidnapped; more and more religious victims of road ambushes
- 2015-09-02 - Bishops support President Buhari's campaign against corruption
- 2015-08-17 - Claretian Missionary priest killed in road ambush
- 2015-07-16 - "If Boko Haram succeed in cutting us off from the other part of Nigeria, Maiduguri is doomed"