AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - The Archbishop of Bangui to politicians "stop the suffering of the people as soon as possible"
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "I would like to humbly ask the leaders of the Country to take quick decisions to stop the suffering of the population in Bangui and elsewhere in the Country", said His Exc. Mgr. Dieudonné Nzapalainga, Archbishop of Bangui, capital of the Central African Republic on August 16, in his homily during the Mass in the presence of the new Prime Minister, Mahamat Kamoun.
Mgr. Nzapalainga pointed out that he was speaking on behalf "of those who are displaced, who are fleeing the ongoing violence and are living in difficult conditions".
The massacres of civilians continue despite the ceasefire signed in Brazzaville on July 23 between former Seleka rebels and anti Balaka militias. The lastest massacre occurred in M'Brés in the north of the Country, where according to authorities about thirty people were killed by the Seleka rebels, an accustion rejected by the former rebels.
On August 14, the new Prime Minister, Mahamat Kamoun, a Muslim, who was appointed by President Samba Panza, officially took office. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/08/2014)
AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
- 2014-12-09 - “Where are you, perpetrator of violence in Central Africa?” demands the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-12-04 - Special Mass for peace at Bangui Carmel hosting 4,000 refugees
- 2014-12-02 - The Bishops denounce: "Banditry threatens peace, it seems that some have fun scattering weapons among the population"
- 2014-11-28 - The head of the group that had seized the Polish priest has been released
- 2014-11-27 - The Vicar General of Bouar: "Fr. Mateusz is fine and was released without the use of force"
- 2014-11-25 - Mgr. Nzapalainga and the Church in aid of former Seleka rebels: a gesture of forgiveness and reconciliation
- 2014-11-20 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Award given to the leaders of the "platform of Religious for Peace", including the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-10-15 - Contacts with the kidnappers of the Polish missionary
- 2014-10-08 - Despite chaos and violence in Bozoum, schools have reopened and the pastoral year has started
- 2014-10-03 - Caritas France: "The situation is still critical because of violence"