AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - The Archbishop of Bangui to politicians "stop the suffering of the people as soon as possible"
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "I would like to humbly ask the leaders of the Country to take quick decisions to stop the suffering of the population in Bangui and elsewhere in the Country", said His Exc. Mgr. Dieudonné Nzapalainga, Archbishop of Bangui, capital of the Central African Republic on August 16, in his homily during the Mass in the presence of the new Prime Minister, Mahamat Kamoun.
Mgr. Nzapalainga pointed out that he was speaking on behalf "of those who are displaced, who are fleeing the ongoing violence and are living in difficult conditions".
The massacres of civilians continue despite the ceasefire signed in Brazzaville on July 23 between former Seleka rebels and anti Balaka militias. The lastest massacre occurred in M'Brés in the north of the Country, where according to authorities about thirty people were killed by the Seleka rebels, an accustion rejected by the former rebels.
On August 14, the new Prime Minister, Mahamat Kamoun, a Muslim, who was appointed by President Samba Panza, officially took office. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/08/2014)
AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-03-26 - Caritas Bangui distributes aid to the displaced Muslims in Mbaiki
- 2015-03-03 - Archbishop of Bangui visits two militia leaders in prison
- 2015-02-24 - “Our country can be compared to a desert, where we must combat the temptations of the devil” says Archbishop Nzapalainga
- 2015-02-06 - "The conflict is political not religious" say three participants
- 2015-01-28 - Caritas: more funds needed for refugees from the Central African Republic
- 2015-01-14 - "Signs of hope but still too much violence, also due to the strong movement of weapons", say the Bishops
- 2015-01-13 - The situation is improving, the Bishops launch a campaign for social cohesion
- 2015-01-07 - Archbishop of Bangui threatened with death while bringing assistance to the displaced
- 2014-12-30 - Archbishop of Bangui pays a visit to former Seleka rebels again