AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The main Catholic radio station in the Country has been shut down
Juba (Agenzia Fides) – Measures have been taken to detain a radio News Editor, Ochan David Nicholas, who is still in custody, and shut down Radio Bakhita, the main Catholic radio station in South Sudan.
The radio, sponsored by the Archdiocese of Juba, was closed after the news of riots on 15 August between government troops loyal to President Salva Kiir and the opposition linked to former Vice President Riek Machar.
Several local media have been forced to close or have suffered pressure from the south Sudanese security service since the crisis erupted in December, that has devastated the Country. The peace agreements signed last June have not been applied by the parties: in particular, the government of national unity has not yet been established. The United States Ambassador to the United Nations has reported the arrival of new supplies of arms in the Country, implying a resumption of hostilities on a large scale. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/08/2014)
- 2015-06-25 - Cholera and rains aggravate the humanitarian situation, thousands of refugees fleeing the war: the testimony of a missionary
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal from Torit: the few NGOs that have remained in South Sudan must not leave over 4 million displaced alone
- 2015-06-10 - New appeal of Christian leaders to stop the "senseless war"
- 2015-05-27 - Christian Churches: "Stop the violence, instigated by leaders, most of whom call themselves Christians"
- 2015-05-26 - Security situation worsens due to clashes
- 2015-05-04 - "Population left to themselves, we are determined to restore peace" say Christian leaders
- 2015-04-22 - Malakal: heavy fighting between soldiers from three different ethnic groups
- 2015-04-21 - Peripheral areas left to themselves due to national conflict: tribal clashes reawaken
- 2015-04-01 - "Stop the war immediately. If the parties are unable to reach agreement by themselves, then they must be persuaded to accept a solution" say Christian leaders
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau