AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The main Catholic radio station in the Country has been shut down
Juba (Agenzia Fides) – Measures have been taken to detain a radio News Editor, Ochan David Nicholas, who is still in custody, and shut down Radio Bakhita, the main Catholic radio station in South Sudan.
The radio, sponsored by the Archdiocese of Juba, was closed after the news of riots on 15 August between government troops loyal to President Salva Kiir and the opposition linked to former Vice President Riek Machar.
Several local media have been forced to close or have suffered pressure from the south Sudanese security service since the crisis erupted in December, that has devastated the Country. The peace agreements signed last June have not been applied by the parties: in particular, the government of national unity has not yet been established. The United States Ambassador to the United Nations has reported the arrival of new supplies of arms in the Country, implying a resumption of hostilities on a large scale. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/08/2014)
- 2015-08-31 - "People fear that the peace agreements may not be respected", said the Auxiliary of Juba
- 2015-08-28 - The President orders the cease-fire, but expresses strong reservations on the peace agreement
- 2015-08-27 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – No celebration was held in Juba for the signing of the peace agreement, "too many deaths for us to rejoice"
- 2015-08-26 - Towards the signing of the peace agreement to end the conflict described by the UN as "a threat to the peace of the entire region"
- 2015-08-11 - The peace process led by the Council of Churches begins
- 2015-08-07 - There are few hopes that the peace agreement will be signed by 17 August
- 2015-08-05 - The government of Juba rejects IGAD's peace plan, criticized by many
- 2015-08-03 - “Peace now” women march through the streets of Juba
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – School instruction during emergency situations a basic humanitarian necessity
- 2015-07-17 - "We must start again from scratch", says the Bishop Emeritus of Juba