AFRICA/NIGERIA - New attacks against Catholic churches. The details of the attack in Kano perpetrated by a female suicide bomber
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - At least one person died and several others were injured in an attack against a Catholic church in the village of Ungwar Poppo, in Kachia Local Government Area in the State of Kaduna (in the north of Nigeria).
Some armed men with Kalashnikov AK47 attacked the place of worship while the faithful were gathered to celebrate Mass on Sunday morning, August 3, firing indiscriminately, killing a guard in charge of protecting the church and wounding several people, some seriously.
The attackers are Fulani herdsmen, who in recent months have carried out several attacks against certain communities in the area. The traditional clash between Muslim herders and Christian farmers seems to have made a quantum leap since the Fulani have exhibited having sophisticated weapons, obtained perhaps, by the Islamist Boko Haram sect.
Meanwhile, Boko Haram has intendified its attacks and suicide bombings in different areas of Nigeria, also against Christian places of worship. On Sunday, July 27 a female suicide bomber blew herself up in the parish of St. Charles Kano. "The girl must have been 17-18 years of age", says to Fides Agency Fr. Valentin, of the Society of African Missions (SMA). "The soldiers who protect the church had stopped her at the entrance, because they wondered why she was covered from head to toe, and then the bomb she was hiding exploded. In addition to the female suicide bomber, four other people were killed and seventy were injured. I took some of the wounded to the hospital. Unfortunately, three patients subsequently died", concluded the religious. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/08/2014)
- 2015-09-28 - Bishops: "Need to diversify the economy in order to avoid our young people to migrate to Europe"
- 2015-09-23 - Despite the attacks, the displaced return to Maiduguri; 3 priests ordained in a community ransacked by Boko Haram
- 2015-09-17 - 60% of children are victims of abuse and violence of all kinds
- 2015-09-10 - Another priest kidnapped; more and more religious victims of road ambushes
- 2015-09-02 - Bishops support President Buhari's campaign against corruption
- 2015-08-17 - Claretian Missionary priest killed in road ambush
- 2015-07-16 - "If Boko Haram succeed in cutting us off from the other part of Nigeria, Maiduguri is doomed"
- 2015-07-15 - Boko Haram strikes again, but no longer controls whole territories
- 2015-07-10 - sex marriages in the western world
- 2015-07-06 - New attacks of Boko Haram: a mosque and a Protestant Church