AFRICA/LIBERIA – Ebola: the director of St. Joseph's Hospital, in Monrovia has died
Monrovia (Agenzia Fides) - Brother Patrick Nshamdze, director of the St. Joseph’s hospital (Hospitaller Order of Saint John of God), in Monrovia (Liberia) died after contracting the Ebola virus. Brother Patrick was a native of Cameroon, he had studied in Rome for 2 years and was general director of the hospital in Monrovia.
"The authorities have isolated all public offices and also our hospital in order to carry out the operations of disinfestation", says to Fides Agency Brother Pascal Ahodegnon, General councilor in charge of the African area of the Order. "Another of our confreres, of Spanish nationality, and two sisters have been hospitalized".
Brother Pascal says that "Liberia is isolated but we continue to provide assistance with our facilities while our NGO is sending aid, which unfortunately is not enough to make up for all the needs".
"As there is still no specific cure for Ebola what is needed are sanitizers, gloves and masks to protect healthcare workers as well as I.V’s and anticoagulant to rehydrate patients and stop bleeding. So far these are the only measures to try to prevent the disease from spreading", concluded the religious.
Hemorrhagic fever has already killed 887 people in West Africa (especially in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea), according to the latest reports from the World Health Organization. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/08/2014)
- 2014-09-13 - Children orphaned by ebola: One of the side effects of the virus
- 2014-08-11 - AFRICA/LIBERIA – A religious sister has died due to the Ebola virus
- 2014-08-05 - AFRICA/LIBERIA – Ebola: the director of St. Joseph's Hospital, in Monrovia has died
- 2014-08-05 - Nearly 900 dead and more than a thousand infections detected. Growing alarm about the spread of the Ebola virus
- 2013-06-21 - AFRICA/LIBERIA – A town has been granted to 300 Sierra Leonean refugees; "it is the sign of the regional integration process," says a missionary
- 2013-03-15 - The Coptic church in Benghazi set on fire
- 2011-11-16 - A Catholic nun at the head of the Commission of Inquiry on electoral violence
- 2011-11-11 - "If we want to unite the Country we should start from the poor": a missionary on the re-election of Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
- 2011-11-09 - Poor turnout for the ballot; the candidate of the opposition denounces an assassination attempt, the police denies
- 2011-11-08 - "After this election there will be a fractured country": a missionary’s opinion