AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Commitment of the Church and of all the agencies present in Eastern Equatoria to raise awareness against the cholera epidemic that is rampant in the Country
Isohe (Agenzia Fides) - There is not only war, unfortunately, that afflicts South Sudan. Since 21 July, there have already been 26 reported cases of cholera at the St. Theresa Mission Hospital, in Isohe, Ikwoto County. In a few weeks the spread of the disease has reached different parts of the Country (see Fides 30/07/2014). Since the beginning of the South Sudanese crisis, the NGO AVSI is the main agency for health in the county of Ikotos, following the implementation of a three-year project funded by the Health Pooled Fund (HPF).
In Torit, AVSI social workers are working in collaboration with all the agencies present in Eastern Equatoria (UNICEF, Caritas, Plan International, South Sudan Red Cross and Save the Children) to collect data and to sensitize people on how to deal with the pandemic. In Isohe, the response was swift and in coordination with Caritas of Torit, which runs the local hospital. In collaboration with the Department of Health in the county, some basic drugs, such as oral rehydration fluids were given. Even the Church has been involved in the campaign, with awareness messages disseminated during Sunday Mass and the priest's meeting with local leaders. The work of AVSI focuses on hygiene awareness campaigns, implemented thanks to the help of a group of 30 Young people, now responsible for disseminating prevention messages in the villages of Isohe, Mairo and Woro Woro. They work in schools, hospitals and the market, visiting families and community groups. In these hours the work has intensified, in favor of IDPs (internally displaced people) who have found shelter in camps in Juba, in support of victims of cholera and for the education of young people. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 05/08/2014)
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War
- 2014-11-14 - The first woman mayor of Yei killed: an act against the Church and against peace
- 2014-10-30 - Campaign against the recruitment of children in armed conflict: "Children, not soldiers"!
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"
- 2014-10-09 - The law that strengthens the powers of security services has been approved, the opposition protests
- 2014-10-07 - A million people at risk of hunger if the political crisis is not solved
- 2014-10-03 - South Sudan's authorities threaten Catholic community radio
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio
- 2014-09-29 - The Bishops denounce the manipulation of tribalism: "Put an end to the civil war now"
- 2014-09-23 - Religious leaders committed to calm tensions on the border with Uganda