ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The entire Catholic population celebrates the 100 millionth baby born in the Country
Manila (Agenzia Fides) - Poverty has always been a serious problem in the country, but too often governments and institutions promote sterilization or other preventive measures as a means to eradicate it. In response to these, the Population Research Institute (PRI) has just celebrated the birth of the 100 millionth baby in the Country. The Catholic island has reached this milestone despite intense pressure to legalize abortion, and apply the coercive control of the population. We are talking about a little girl, nicknamed and celebrated as "Baby 100 Million." The Philippines is one of the largest Catholic Countries in the world and the population gives enormous value to children. There are many who argue that every new birth penalizes the economic growth of the Country, but many are those that argue the opposite, that the increase of the population does not constitute a burden for the Country or for the whole world. In fact, their qualified and exemplary labor is one of the most sought after. The typical Filipino does not associate a child with 'cost', but rather 'blessing' and 'gift'. They recognize that true happiness is not the accumulation of material wealth or prestige, but rather, from authentic, genuine and strong relationships with other people. Life has value, not because the Church says so, but because it is so. Last July 8, the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) published the Pastoral Guide on the implementation of the law on reproductive health, in which the Bishops indicate a description of the main points of the judgment of the Supreme Court that believe it will be useful for pastoral ministry and discernment. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/07/2014)
- 2015-07-21 - Bishops' Message: "Climate change, a matter of social justice"
- 2015-06-25 - "Laudati Sì" a source of inspiration for dialogue and for the care of creation
- 2015-06-22 - Cardinal Quevedo: "The disarmament of Islamic guerrillas is an important step for peace"
- 2015-06-02 - Message from the "Silsilah" movement: a Ramadan of peace in Mindanao
- 2015-05-26 - Bishops: "Laity and parishes have to act in order to combat modern slavery"
- 2015-05-19 - "Ready to welcome the Rohingya migrants": State and Church agree
- 2015-05-18 - Building peace remembering martyr Claretian Rhoel Gallardo
- 2015-05-13 - Education and aid to the poor at the Luigi Caburlotto school
- 2015-05-13 - The construction of a new shelter for the poor has begun
- 2015-05-08 - The Village of Harmony has been giving an example of "life-in-dialogue" in southern Philippines for 25 years