AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Thousands of children at risk for an outbreak of cholera
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - South Sudan is going through one of the worst humanitarian crises. What is making the situation worse is the rapid spread of an outbreak of cholera that is threatening thousands of children and has affected over 2,600 people and has cost the lives of over 60 people in Juba. Cholera causes vomiting and diarrhea among children and adults, bringing severe dehydration and, without proper and immediate care, leads to death. Unfortunately it is spreading in many areas of the Country, with outbreaks in nine of the ten States. The most likely to die are the smallest due to their age and physical development. Moreover, they are even more vulnerable after seven months of violence that has forced 1.5 million people to flee their homes and leave the youngest Country in the world to the brink of starvation. According to the Director of Save the Children in South Sudan, the spread of the disease is worrying as it is added to the food crisis at a time when hundreds of thousands of people live in crowded camps in totally inadequate sanitary conditions. Moreover, with the anticipation of the rains in the coming weeks and months, the situation could worsen. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/07/2014)
- 2015-11-09 - Violence, food insecurity, malnutrition: the population is exhausted
- 2015-11-04 - "South Sudan is not prepared to deal with terrorist infiltration"
- 2015-11-03 - Appeals from religious leaders regarding the fate of 80,000 displaced people in the woods
- 2015-11-03 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – The civil war continues to penalize the population: now the aim is survival
- 2015-10-20 - Apostolic Administrator of Torit: "It is more important to implement the peace agreement than create new States"
- 2015-10-08 - Perplexity about the creation of 28 new States
- 2015-10-02 - Malaria: 4,000 cases a week and the death of three children a day
- 2015-09-22 - Women, widows and orphans who live in absolute precariousness continues to increase
- 2015-09-15 - A Comboni Congolese missionary wounded in a road ambush
- 2015-09-03 - The Archbishop of Juba will inform Pope Francis on the situation in his country