AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Thousands of children at risk for an outbreak of cholera
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - South Sudan is going through one of the worst humanitarian crises. What is making the situation worse is the rapid spread of an outbreak of cholera that is threatening thousands of children and has affected over 2,600 people and has cost the lives of over 60 people in Juba. Cholera causes vomiting and diarrhea among children and adults, bringing severe dehydration and, without proper and immediate care, leads to death. Unfortunately it is spreading in many areas of the Country, with outbreaks in nine of the ten States. The most likely to die are the smallest due to their age and physical development. Moreover, they are even more vulnerable after seven months of violence that has forced 1.5 million people to flee their homes and leave the youngest Country in the world to the brink of starvation. According to the Director of Save the Children in South Sudan, the spread of the disease is worrying as it is added to the food crisis at a time when hundreds of thousands of people live in crowded camps in totally inadequate sanitary conditions. Moreover, with the anticipation of the rains in the coming weeks and months, the situation could worsen. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/07/2014)
- 2015-08-28 - The President orders the cease-fire, but expresses strong reservations on the peace agreement
- 2015-08-27 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – No celebration was held in Juba for the signing of the peace agreement, "too many deaths for us to rejoice"
- 2015-08-26 - Towards the signing of the peace agreement to end the conflict described by the UN as "a threat to the peace of the entire region"
- 2015-08-11 - The peace process led by the Council of Churches begins
- 2015-08-07 - There are few hopes that the peace agreement will be signed by 17 August
- 2015-08-05 - The government of Juba rejects IGAD's peace plan, criticized by many
- 2015-08-03 - “Peace now” women march through the streets of Juba
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – School instruction during emergency situations a basic humanitarian necessity
- 2015-07-17 - "We must start again from scratch", says the Bishop Emeritus of Juba
- 2015-07-10 - New peace initiative announced by the Church on the anniversary of independence