AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Thousands of children at risk for an outbreak of cholera
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - South Sudan is going through one of the worst humanitarian crises. What is making the situation worse is the rapid spread of an outbreak of cholera that is threatening thousands of children and has affected over 2,600 people and has cost the lives of over 60 people in Juba. Cholera causes vomiting and diarrhea among children and adults, bringing severe dehydration and, without proper and immediate care, leads to death. Unfortunately it is spreading in many areas of the Country, with outbreaks in nine of the ten States. The most likely to die are the smallest due to their age and physical development. Moreover, they are even more vulnerable after seven months of violence that has forced 1.5 million people to flee their homes and leave the youngest Country in the world to the brink of starvation. According to the Director of Save the Children in South Sudan, the spread of the disease is worrying as it is added to the food crisis at a time when hundreds of thousands of people live in crowded camps in totally inadequate sanitary conditions. Moreover, with the anticipation of the rains in the coming weeks and months, the situation could worsen. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/07/2014)
- 2015-01-16 - The importance of "true hospitality" towards refugees
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War
- 2014-11-14 - The first woman mayor of Yei killed: an act against the Church and against peace
- 2014-10-30 - Campaign against the recruitment of children in armed conflict: "Children, not soldiers"!
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"
- 2014-10-09 - The law that strengthens the powers of security services has been approved, the opposition protests
- 2014-10-07 - A million people at risk of hunger if the political crisis is not solved
- 2014-10-03 - South Sudan's authorities threaten Catholic community radio
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio
- 2014-09-29 - The Bishops denounce the manipulation of tribalism: "Put an end to the civil war now"