AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Thousands of children at risk for an outbreak of cholera
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - South Sudan is going through one of the worst humanitarian crises. What is making the situation worse is the rapid spread of an outbreak of cholera that is threatening thousands of children and has affected over 2,600 people and has cost the lives of over 60 people in Juba. Cholera causes vomiting and diarrhea among children and adults, bringing severe dehydration and, without proper and immediate care, leads to death. Unfortunately it is spreading in many areas of the Country, with outbreaks in nine of the ten States. The most likely to die are the smallest due to their age and physical development. Moreover, they are even more vulnerable after seven months of violence that has forced 1.5 million people to flee their homes and leave the youngest Country in the world to the brink of starvation. According to the Director of Save the Children in South Sudan, the spread of the disease is worrying as it is added to the food crisis at a time when hundreds of thousands of people live in crowded camps in totally inadequate sanitary conditions. Moreover, with the anticipation of the rains in the coming weeks and months, the situation could worsen. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/07/2014)
- 2015-06-25 - Cholera and rains aggravate the humanitarian situation, thousands of refugees fleeing the war: the testimony of a missionary
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal from Torit: the few NGOs that have remained in South Sudan must not leave over 4 million displaced alone
- 2015-06-10 - New appeal of Christian leaders to stop the "senseless war"
- 2015-05-27 - Christian Churches: "Stop the violence, instigated by leaders, most of whom call themselves Christians"
- 2015-05-26 - Security situation worsens due to clashes
- 2015-05-04 - "Population left to themselves, we are determined to restore peace" say Christian leaders
- 2015-04-22 - Malakal: heavy fighting between soldiers from three different ethnic groups
- 2015-04-21 - Peripheral areas left to themselves due to national conflict: tribal clashes reawaken
- 2015-04-01 - "Stop the war immediately. If the parties are unable to reach agreement by themselves, then they must be persuaded to accept a solution" say Christian leaders
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau