ASIA/BANGLADESH - A new Youth Centre of the Salesians of Don Bosco has been inaugurated
Dhaka (Agenzia Fides) - The Salesians of Don Bosco have opened a new Center for youth pastoral in Bangladesh, Dhaka. The "Don Bosco Youth Centre" was inaugurated in the presence of religious and the laity and Fr. Guillermo Basañes SDB, General Councillor for the Missions, arrived in Bangladesh to encourage the missionary activity of the Salesians in the country.
The new Center, situated in Utrail area in the capital, intends to promote the development and human growth of young Bangladeshis through various programs in the field of education and professional training, conducted on-site or off-site, in the suburbs and in the villages where young people live. There are already about 100 young people who use the services offered, the number will grow substantially. About 300 children attend the Sunday oratory in the adjacent communities of the religious of Don Bosco.
At the inauguration, Fr. Basañes said: "Today something new is born. The school and the parish already existed here before our arrival. But today we have added our original contribution to the Church in Bangladesh. We need to grow and care for this youth center as a newborn baby". Recalling that the commitment to the school, university and professional training are an integral part of the Salesian charism, Fr. Basañes urged local confreres to ensure that "the Youth Center is always fully committed to the education of young people" and that "knows how to reach the existential outskirts of the territory". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 30/07/2014)
- 2015-07-09 - Risking their lives to escape poverty
- 2015-07-07 - The Bishops: the encyclical Laudato Si’ is important for the faithful and for the country
- 2015-03-25 - Economic incentives for pregnant women and children under 5 years of age
- 2014-07-30 - A new Youth Centre of the Salesians of Don Bosco has been inaugurated
- 2014-05-05 - First nuclear power plant in the country?
- 2014-04-25 - An interactive documentary explores the living hell in Bangladesh's clothing industry
- 2014-02-17 - Jubilee of the mission in Pathorghata, "the port of stones"
- 2014-01-15 - Post- election violence: "Christians are not being targeted", says the Archbishop of Dhaka
- 2014-01-08 - The Archbishop of Dhaka: "Messengers of hope among violence and social confusion"
- 2013-12-21 - The year 2013 full of social conflict and human right abuses