AMERICA/MEXICO - Over five thousand people march for peace and for life
Nezahualcoyotl (Agenzia Fides) - More than 5000 people marched with the Bishop of the diocese of Nezahualcóyotl, Mgr. Héctor Luis Morales Sánchez in favor of peace, life and family. The massive event, held yesterday July 27, started from three points of the city of Nezahualcoyotl, towards the center, and ended in the cathedral with a prayer vigil.
The main reason, according to the note sent to Fides by the Diocese of Nezahualcoyotl, is the desire to publicly express the will and the commitment to promote and act effectively for life, for peace and for the family: "Considering that one cannot be insensitive or indifferent to the various situations that present themselves as serious problems in our diocese of Nezahualcoyotl and in society in general, we try to propose ways and solutions that are coherent with our principles, in the light of the Gospel", says the note. "We want to express together our right to demonstrate publicly that we are in favor of the values of life, of peace and of the family".
The city of Nezahualcóyotl, on the outskirts of the capital Mexico City, home to more than 1200.000 people, in recent months has had to endure situations of great violence on the streets and in families.
Since 2013, the city suffers kidnapping, extortion, extrajudicial executions, thefts, street violence, more than other cities in the country: all this before the authorities who, out of fear or corruption, are unable to stop social violence. The poorest people, note the local Church, are the first victims of this violence. According to data published by the newspaper "La Jornada" in Mexico, 62 people were killed every day in 2013. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/07/2014)
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"